When I was younger I believed everything I was told. I believed that if you bit your finger nails you would grow a hand in your stomach; I believed that if you swallowed gum it would stick into your stomach forever; and I believed that eating black watermelon seeds would result in growing a massive watermelon in my stomach.

Although I no longer spend time picking the seeds out of my watermelon, I never officially debunked that myth. I am taking you along with me to discover the truth: can you eat black watermelon seeds?

So...What's the deal? 

watermelon, melon
Tess Wei

Before we get into the logistics, I will answer your burning question: no, you cannot grow a watermelon in your stomach. Black watermelon seeds can be planted to grow watermelons, but your stomach does not create the proper environment for a watermelon.

If you're still a little nervous, chew up the watermelon seed when you eat them. In fact, you might want to chew it! Watermelon seeds are filled with nutrients. 

Are watermelon seeds good for you? 

watermelon, vegetable, melon, pasture
Katherine Baker

It's true, watermelon seeds are low cal and packed with magnesium, iron, folate, and good fats. All of these nutrients are essential for your brain and body. Basically, watermelon is delicious, nutritious and perfect to enjoy all day everyday.

What's the difference with black and white seeds? 

watermelon, melon, sweet, juice

Interesting you asked, the difference between black and white watermelon seeds is age. All watermelon seeds start off small and white, but grow to be the larger black seeds we know (and previously feared).

There are white-seeded watermelons that are more common in Asia and the Middle East, but the black seeded are more common in the US because it's all about aesthetic. 

Watermelon is a perfect summer treat and I know that I will be incorporating it into all my meals (now that I know I won't be worried about growing one in my stomach). Plus, it is easily added to salsas, margaritas, smoothies, and even sushi

Now go forth and enjoy without fear.