As more students are becoming aware of their lactose intolerance or gaining insight to animal product ethics, non-dairy delicacies are on the rise. As a yogurt enthusiast myself, I believe that regardless of what you believe or can digest, there’s no reason for anyone to miss out on the creamy breakfast treat.

However, as broke college students, we want to make sure that what we’re spending our money on is worth the cash. So, as a gift to you all, I went and tried ten of the most popular yogurt alternatives for you, and ranked them on taste, texture, and pricing. Enjoy my gift to you all.

10. Silk Dairy-Free Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of meandthemountains.com

Silk has probably been the main dairy-free brand I have seen over the years. As a household name, I expected good things from this one. Nutritionally, we’re looking at 21 grams of sugar and 4 grams of protein, and this stuff is thickened with rice starch. 

Taste: I appreciated the rich feeling it left on my tongue, and the yogurt itself would probably pair well with fruit or other toppings, but it left a metallic aftertaste. This was probably a result of all the thickeners.

Texture: The yogurt felt like Jell-O to me (probably from the thickeners), but had a really rich creaminess to it that I enjoyed.

Price: At $1.28 for 5.3 ounces, Silk offers a low-cost product but definitely does it at the cost of quality.

Grade: C+

9. CoYo Coconut Milk Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of Pinterest.com

A brand based in the UK, CoYo is applauded internationally for their bounty of probiotics and lack of added sugars. The rich coconut yogurt keeps things all natural, not stripping the fruit of any nutrients or saturated fats. 

Taste: Wow, this stuff is rich. Amazing, as all calorically dense foods are, but I couldn’t finish my 5.3-ounce container in one sitting.

Texture: Smooth and creamy, I just want to take a bath in it.

Price: $3.99 per 5.3-ounce container. When you find a product with coconut cream as a base, you’re going to have to fork over more bucks.

Grade: B-

8. So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

Where dairy products rely depend on bacteria to make their yogurt creamy, coconut milk yogurt utilizes probiotic powder and tapioca starch to mimic that beloved consistency. In order to get this yogurt Greek-style, So Delicious put the mixture through several straining processes to rid it of extra liquid. Being a huge coconut fan, I am very glad to find out that So Delicious cracked this code. 

Taste: Like a sweet, silky custard, this yogurt hit my coconut cravings hard. However, the yogurt lacked a more tangy, complex flavor, which made it taste a little more like pudding than yogurt.

Texture: The coconut yogurt was smooth and creamy, but was very unlike dairy yogurt, so it would probably not compare for vegan or lactose intolerant individuals looking for replacement.

Price: At $1.67 for 5.2 ounces, this is definitely a dairy-free deal.

Grade: B

7. Trader Joe’s Soy Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of eatingatjoes.com

If Trader Joe’s sells it, I’m gonna buy it. Luckily, on my most most recent trip I had an excuse to stock up on the soy yogurt. At such an insanely cheap price, my purchase was a no-brainer. 

Taste: Lusciously sweet, it tasted freakishly similar to many dairy yogurt brands. I loved the bits of fruit in it, however, my only complain was a slightly soybeanish aftertaste. 

Texture: Super fluffy and creamy, it truly felt like eating straight whipped cream. Not that I’d be familiar with that consistency.

Price: $0.99 for 6 ounces. What whaaaaat.

Grade: B

6. Coconut Grove Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of godairyfree.org

Debuting in both original and vanilla, and yielding a minimalist ingredients list of organic coconut milk, corn-free starch, coconut sugar, and probiotics, Coconut Grove was a must-try. 

Taste: Fairly neutral with slightly sweet backdrops of flavor. These would be a good substitute for dairy products in savory dips or dressings.

Texture: Thin and a little watery.

Price: $1.29 per 6-ounce single-serve, so definitely on the cheaper side.

Grade: B+

5. Nancy’s Organic Cultured Soy

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of healthyslowcooking.com

Golden in color (thank you, brown rice syrup) and loose in texture, Nancy’s soy yogurt replicates a thinner, more European-style yogurt.

Taste: Nancy’s had a really delicate flavor; even the mango flavor was very subtle. This would be a letdown for someone expecting a more vivacious taste, but for the base of a parfait or smoothie, I don’t see this being a problem.

Texture: Really really runny. It was pretty undesirable for my personal palate, and I struggled to make my way through the container.

Price: $1.99 for a small container — college students, rejoice!

Grade: B+

4. So Delicious Almond Milk Plain Greek Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of godairyfree.org

Fortified with calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, natural protein (3 grams), fats (6 grams), and fiber (4-5 grams), this Greek yogurt was actually the first non-dairy product released by So Delicious. The yogurt contains an almond base, vegan thickeners (no gelatin and no carrageenan), six live active probiotic cultures, and for sweetness, organic dried cane syrup.

Taste: For a thicker dairy-free yogurt, So Delicious hits the spot, even down to the classic tang you expect from a Greek yogurt. Nutritionally, it’s higher in protein and lower in sugar than other dairy-free yogurts.

Texture: Lusciously thick without the aftertaste of starchy thickeners, So Delicious satisfies the hankering for a heartier consistency.

Price: $2 for 6 ounces of yogurt is a little more than you’d pay for run-of-the-mill brands, but for a dairy-free option this satisfying, I’d do it.

Grade: A-

3. Amande Cultured Almondmilk Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of citylifeeats.com

Fruit juice-sweetened, dairy-free, completely vegan, soy-free, certified kosher, almond-based yogurt — it’s gluten, soy, and GMO-free. Amande creates a completely dairy and guilt-free treat from their cultured almond milk. Let’s put it to a taste test. 

Taste: Delicious. The plain flavor is perfection, slightly sweet and tangy. It would probably be fantastic in a smoothie. I’ll get back to you all on that.

Texture: Silky with virtually no aftertaste. Bless up.

Price: $2 for 5.2 ounces. Yummo.

Grade: A

2. Stonyfield O’Soy Yogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of stoneyfield.com

Six live active cultures and 7 grams of protein at 150 calories and 3 grams of fat, 21 grams of sugar, 15% calcium — not a bad start, Stonyfield. It brands itself with the phrase “smooth and creamy,” so I had to give this one a shot. 

Taste: This soyogurt definitely delivers the tang that coconut milk yogurts lack. With several fruit-flavored varieties, Stonyfield delivers a sweet taste without all those nasty additives and sweeteners.  

Texture: After a few (approximately five) stirs, the brand delivers on their “smooth and creamy” promise.

Price: About $2 for 6 ounces. I’ve seen worse.

Grade: A

1. Wildwood Organic Plain Unsweetened Soyogurt

non-dairy yogurt

Photo courtesy of veganbaking.net

I heard amazing things about the high fiber and unsweetened Wildwood brand before seeking it out in my local grocery store. Apparently, this soy product resembles dairy the closest, so I had high hopes for this little container of soyogurt.

Taste: A really complex, cultured taste — honestly, you could have told me this was a dairy product and I would have believed it. Can every non-dairy product taste like this, please?

Texture: The soyogurt felt really smooth and thick, without being too starchy. This is A+ work from the Wildwood team.

Price: About $2 for 6 ounces, so this cost is pretty doable.

Grade: A+