We’ve been back for a month and it’s about that time of the semester when, let’s face it, we’re starving. Dining hall food gets old fast and apartment dwellers are just about done with the monotony of cooking dinner every night. That didn’t last long. But don’t worry, all of us on the Delaware Spoon staff are going to solve your problem and spill about our favorite dishes on Main Street.

Sushi rolls from Mizu

main street

Photo by Rachael Piorko

If you’re a sushi lover then you’ve probably heard good things about Mizu Sushi Bar. Well, it’s so tasty that our Editor in Chief Rachael Piorko has dubbed their rolls her favorite meal on Main Street. She recommends her personal picks: spicy yellowtail, shrimp tempura, and sweet potato.

Braised short rib with parmesan risotto from Taverna

main street

Photo by Caroline Grew

Taverna is a fairly new restaurant that has taken Main Street by storm. Their modern twist on traditional Italian foods is different and refreshing while still managing to be authentic. “They had a short rib with parmesan risotto with veggies as a special. It was unreal how good it was.” – Alison Sprong, Writer.

Margherita pizza from Margherita’s Pizza 

main street

Photo by Caroline Grew

This joint is arguably the best pizza place in Newark. It’s the place from which we are all guilty of ordering some very late night deliveries. “Margherita pizza has always been my favorite, so I’m glad I found a restaurant at UD that does it right. Tomato, mozzarella and basil cooked on a thin crust pizza is simply the greatest combination you can find.” – Caroline Grew, Photo Director.

Dal tadka from Indian Sizzler

Known for their incredibly low priced buffet, this restaurant is great for adventurous foodies or diners wanting to try new and interesting ethnic foods. It is home to writer Kelsey Kushner’s favorite dish, dal tadka. She says, “It is DELICIOUS. This dish is super low in calories and fat so I never feel like I’m splurging or going overboard. It is also really filling so I’m never hungry after eating it. I recommend a side of naan bread.”

Sweet potato fries from Iron Hill Brewery

main street

Photo by Caroline Grew

This is just the right place to enjoy a great meal with a perfectly paired beer, brewed right on the premises. Upscale bar food is their specialty. Their pumpkin spice ale (which might beat out the pumpkin spice latte this season) is extremely popular, but the sweet potato fries steal the menu spotlight. “As an appetizer, they come as a huge plate with three different dipping sauces. The fries have just the right amount of crunch and the sauces are definitely a change from ketchup.” – Lexi Siegel, Business Director.

Calamarata from Taverna

Like Alison, I have also eaten my favorite meal on Main Street at Taverna. This restaurant has been my saving grace for all Italian food cravings. Of all the times I have been there, I have never strayed from this dish. The tube shaped calamarata pasta is tossed with slow cooked chicken and spinach in a light tomato cream sauce. It’s comfort food done right and the only dinner I want when a home cooked meal is too far away.

Now that you know where to find our favorite meals, ditch the meal plan and treat yourself to an indulgent dinner on Main Street. Maybe one of our favorites will become one of yours.