Over my years here at Wake Forest, I've seen Winston-Salem transform into a hipster, foodie-friendly city. New restaurants seem to pop up daily, and they've got some seriously tasty offerings. I asked Wake Forest Spoon members what their best meals have been in Winston, and here's what they had to say.

chicken, avocado, cilantro, mango, salad
Julia Demorest

"My favorite thing I have eaten in Winston-Salem is Local 27101's house salad. I'm usually not a fan of this bland menu item, but Local has perfected it. With fresh, flavorful veggies, this salad is perfect to order as a side or the main-attraction." -Julia Demorest

"This may sound shocking, but The Basil Leaf Thai restaurant has the best Pad Woon Sen and Thai food I've ever eaten!" -Annie Calfo

egg, potato, avocado
Elissa Oliver

"The Porch is one of my favorite restaurants in Winston-Salem. I am from Texas, so I feel at home every time I go there. I went once for Sunday brunch and had the best special of rice, black beans, pulled pork, eggs, avocado, and pico de gallo!" -Elissa Oliver

salad, asparagus, salmon
Sophia Franchi

"[My favorite dish in Winston] is Paleo Zucchini Noodles with  homemade vegan basil pesto, and topped with grilled salmon from Diamond Back Grill. This is one of my favorites because it's really healthy and nutrient dense, but also super filling, so it feels like you're eating a bowl of pasta!" -Sophia Franchi

"The margherita pizza from Mission Pizza! I'm Italian, so I am always on the hunt for a good pizza, and that is the most authentic pizza in Winston-Salem." -Alexa Bastone

"The best thing I have eaten in Winston Salem is definitely the stuffed avocado from Crafted the Art of the Taco. Queso, chorizo and pico spill out of an open avocado. The flavors all work in unison to form a perfect warm and savory bite." -Francesca Gentile 

There's nothing better than getting a recommendation from someone you know values good food as much as you do. Next time you're sick of the Pit or just want to get off campus, try out one of these places for some high quality eats.