This spring season, as the weather gets warmer and we all crawl out of hibernation (read: wrapped in blankets and binge-watching Netflix), we start to hear a lot of talk about fruits and vegetables. It’s important to eat these colorful plants at all times of the year, but we seem to think about it more when the sun is shining.

Here’s a list of what foods are in season in your state this spring. Always check out your local farmer’s market for some awesome produce. Your grocery store may source locally as well depending on what’s in season. Purchasing produce while it’s in season will ensure you get the freshest and most flavorful food. Check out what you should be buying this spring:

Northeast

season

Photo by Vedika Luthra

New York, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

• Arugula
  • Asparagus
  • Mushrooms
  • Radishes
  • Spinach

I have a ~healthy~ obsession with spinach. If you consider yourself a chef (or a wannabe chef), you need to try this creamy risotto.

If your culinary repertoire consists of cereal and grilled cheese, this recipe might be more your style. It’s an easy pasta dish that incorporates some awesome arugula and mushrooms.

Northwest

season

Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa

Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana

• Collard Greens
  • Kale
  • Mushrooms
  • Oregano
  • Spinach
  • Sprouts

Whether you’re a fan of super-foods or not, you gotta try this kale salad. And since all types of greens are in season this time of year, amp up your daily breakfast with collard greens, kale, or other greens of your choice.

Upper Midwest

season

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin

• Asparagus
  • Mint
  • Spinach
  • Wild Rice

Sorry y’all. Looks like it’s slim pickings this spring if you reside in this region. The Upper Midwest has shorter growing season, and the harvest occurs later in the year. You’ll get your fruits and veggies once summertime hits. A wide selection of produce will be sourced from other parts of the country where it is freshest.

But don’t worry, you still have a few tasty options. If water isn’t your thing, throw together this mint lemon soda in just 15 minutes. Or, when you’re craving Mickey D’s but trying to be healthy, these asparagus fries will be your savior.

Midwest

season

Photo by Julie Kang

Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska

• Arugula
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Parsnips
  • Radishes
  • Spinach

Clearly I’m biased towards risotto, but check out this vibrant dish to make the most of those fresh beets. For more veggies, try this easy carrot dish, which will add color and nutrients to any entree.

South

season

Photo by Jackie Kuczynski

Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma

• Blueberries
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Okra
  • Strawberries
  • Sweet Onions

I may be a little biased since I come from the beautiful state of North Carolina, where agriculture is crucial to our economy. But the southern United States has some pretty darn delicious stuff in the spring.

We are one of the most diversified states when it comes to agriculture, and we have a lot of delicious produce to show for it. Broccoli is by far my favorite vegetable, and mouth-watering blueberries are the perfect addition to many recipes.

Don’t compromise taste in the name of health. Serve these broccoli bites instead of tater tots at your next fam dinner. You won’t be disappointed. Or try making the easiest “rice” ever with your local cauliflower.

Southwest

season

Photo by Sasha Kran

Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Wyoming

• Apricots
  • Avocados
  • Blackberries
  • Cucumbers
  • Peaches
  • Snap Peas
  • Summer Squash
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini

This region’s produce is plentiful this spring. You can find every color of the rainbow at a Southwestern farmer’s market this time of year.

If you’re lucky enough to have beautiful fresh blackberries in your state, you have to try this blackberry pizza. For more dessert, try this recipe for healthy dark chocolate avocado truffles.

season

Photo by Abby Humphries

You can find a comprehensive list of seasonal produce here. Happy shopping, and happy eating, Spoonies.