1. Scoop Microcreamery

This local ice cream shop has friendly workers and unique flavors such as Bourbon Vanilla with Salted Caramel and Brown Sugar Banana. They use liquid nitrogen to freeze their ice cream into "microbatches" to create smoother, richer ice cream. Homemade ice cream, homemade waffle cones, and homemade chocolate fudge? Say no more.

2. Tin Pot Creamery

With a focus on organic and local ingredients, Tin Pot is a Bay Area favorite. Their flavors change every few months with classics including Four Barrel Coffee with Cocoa Nib Toffee and Mint Chip. The French style ice cream is handcrafted in a "gelato style" machine to enhance the ice cream flavors. 

3. Fraîche

Fraîche's homemade organic yogurt is a healthier option than traditional ice cream. It is made by freezing their homemade greek yogurt. They are the only ice cream place in the Bay Area that serves fro-yo made from real yogurt. But, top it with chocolate shavings and raspberry sauce and you will not even realize it is yogurt.

4. Rick's Ice Cream

Creamy and rich, Rick's ice cream is known for its handmade delicious creations. Flavors include Coffee Molasses Chip, Rose, and White Chocolate Ginger. They have 48 different flavors to satisfy any craving. Try a cookie with your ice cream and you will not be disappointed.

5. CREAM

CREAM is known for its cookie ice cream sandwiches, which consist of any two cookie flavors and any ice cream flavor you desire. Needles to say the possible combinations are endless. A personal favorite: chocolate chip cookies with salted caramel ice cream. Not a cookie fan? Try a brownie ice cream sandwich.

6. Pressed Juicery

Pressed is better known as a juicery, but their "freeze" allows for a healthy ice cream substitution. Freeze tastes like ice cream, but is vegan, gluten, and dairy-free. There are six flavors including Chocolate Almond, Vanilla Almond, and Greens.

7. Gelataio

The handcrafted Italian gelato mixes Italy with California by making gelato from scratch in micro-batches. They use fresh milk, cream, and local produce to create their homemade flavors of both gelato and sorbet. The best part? They have chocolate on tap. 

8. Creamistry

Creamistry is just as much about the experience as it is about the ice cream. They use liquid nitrogen to prepare homemade flavors in front of you. With over 70 flavors and toppings, including Fruity Pebbles, Cheesecake, and Sea Salt Caramel.

9. Palo Alto Creamery

Palo Alto Creamery has a classic diner feel and specializes in milkshakes, which are customizable with your favorite flavor. Their flavors include Burgundy Cherry, Pralines and Cream, and Peppermint Fudge Ripple.

10. Pinkberry

Pinkberry is a frozen yogurt joint with a variety of tart flavors including Orange Tang, Raspberry White Chocolate, and Pink Bubbly. Their sweet flavors include Cinnamon Churro, Coconut Milk Dark Chocolate, and Green Tea Latte. Add some fresh fruit toppings and some candy bits on top so that your dish is customized specifically for you.

Palo Alto is known for having great ice cream and above are the best places where you can find handcrafted, unique flavors, most of which you cannot get elsewhere. Whether you like gelato, sorbet, ice cream, or fro-yo, Palo Alto has endless ice cream options.