Get ready to plan the most epic road trip, because we rounded up the best frozen dessert from every state in the U.S. We hope you like ice cream, because eating your way through this list is going to cause some serious brain freeze.

Alabama: Moon Pie Sundae

caramel, ice, ice cream, cream, chocolate
Photo courtesy of Facebook

Moon Pies, a combination of graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow are loved throughout Alabama. This sundae takes the classic cookies to the next level by adding ice cream and chocolate sauce. Grab one here, or make your own.

Alaska: Wild Scoops Ice Cream

ice, dairy product, coffee, chocolate, sweet, milk, cream
Photo courtesy of @wildscoops on Instagram

Handmade in Anchorage, this ice cream company makes tons of flavors with delicious local ingredients. It’s no wonder this place is popular; Alaskans consume the most ice cream per capita of any state!

Arizona: Sweet Republic Ice Cream

With sundaes, milkshakes, ice cream sandwiches, and cones, it’s hard not to find something you’ll love at this artisan ice cream store. Check out the menu and head to one of their two locations to try a frozen treat for yourself.

Arkansas: Lemon Icebox Pie

Enjoy some of this cold homemade pie at Rita’s. This frozen treat is easy to make, and requires no baking, only a few hours in the freezer. Make your own apple variation, or try an icebox cake.

California: Bigg Chill Frozen Yogurt

cake, candy, chocolate
Photo courtesy of Bigg Chill Frozen Yogurt on Facebook

This fro-yo place has been serving frozen treats in Los Angeles for the past 20 years. They’ve created more than 400 flavors, and the menu changes daily. They also offer frozen yogurt pies if a single cup won’t do it for you.

Colorado: Sweet Action Ice Cream

What’s not to love about the fresh handmade ice cream at Sweet Action? Their flavors are updated daily, and in addition to the basics they include things such as Honey Goat Cheese and Molasses Cornbread. We definitely want to try them all.

Connecticut: Buttonwood Farms Ice Cream

chocolate, cream, sweet, milk
Photo courtesy of Alexandra N. on yelp.com

This farm makes their ice cream daily with fresh dairy, and even makes their own waffle cones. Check out their extensive flavors and enjoy a cone while admiring the scenery (and cows). Ice cream is the state dessert of Connecticut after all.

Delaware: Frozen Custard

wafer, chocolate, ice cream, sweet, ice, cream
Photo courtesy of @dcfoodporn on Instagram

Kohr Brothers is known as the original frozen custard, and still has locations throughout Delaware. Enjoy a creamy cone while taking in the views the Delaware beaches have to offer.

Florida: Key Lime Pie Milkshake

ice, chocolate, milkshake, cream, milk
Photo courtesy of @omgzrachel on Instagram

The Tin Cow is known for their burgers, but they also make a mean milkshake. This Key Lime shake is the perfect way to enjoy the state pie in liquid form and beat the heat. And no fork is necessary!

Georgia: Peach Popsicle

strawberry, raspberry, ice cream, popsicle, ice
Ashley Peek

Georgia is known for its peaches, so it’s no surprise this peach popsicle made its way onto our list. Head to Hip Pops for a wide assortment of homemade popsicles and grab either a Peachy Pablo (Peach Cobbler) or Young Peachy (Peaches ‘N’ Cream).

Hawaii: Shaved Ice

This frozen treat is the perfect refreshment after a day spent at the beach. A typical Hawaiian desert, it is popular throughout the islands. Head over to Ululani’s in Maui to try a combination of their more than 40 flavors.

Idaho: Banana Split

sundae, ice, cake, dairy product, sweet, whipped cream, milk, chocolate, cream
Photo courtesy of Julie E. on yelp.com

Goody’s Soda Fountain in Boise is known throughout Idaho. We recommend one of their infamous banana splits, or you can choose to indulge with a waffle dish sundae or simple cone. Check out the menu.

Illinois: Ice Cream Sundae

When in Illinois, indulge in some ice cream. According to some, the ice cream sundae was invented in Illinois around 1890. The town of Evanston passed a law banning the sale of soda water on Sunday, so soda fountains started selling ice cream sodas without the soda. This combination of ice cream and syrup became the modern day ice cream sundae, and was named for the day it was served on. Here are some places to grab a sundae.

Indiana: Wyliepalooza Ice Cream

goody, sweet, milk, sundae, caramel, chocolate, ice, cream
Photo courtesy of Facebook

The Wyliepalooza Ice Cream Emporium in Indianapolis offers an impressive selection of over 70 flavors, so you’re guaranteed to find one you’ll like. We’re intrigued by the Scotch Ale Caramel Crunch, Root Beer Float, and Cake Batter Fudge.

Iowa: Pie Shake

Head over to the Hamburg Inn No. 2 to grab a refreshing pie shake. This famous frozen treat is made from a combination of soft serve, milk, and a slice of cake or pie. Expect to see a few politicians indulging during the Iowa Caucuses.

Kansas: Glacé Artisan Ice Cream

Created by the same guy as Elbow Chocolates, this ice cream store creates crazy and unique flavors you’ll be dying to try. The flavors change every week, but some of the signature ones include Ricotta & Fig, Hibiscus Ginger, and Spanish Saffron & Rosewater.

Kentucky: Derby Pie á la Mode

While not technically a frozen dessert, we couldn’t resist adding this Kentucky classic to the list. Add some ice cream to the top and it technically makes the list, right? Derby Pie is a chocolate and walnut tart with a pastry dough crust, created in 1950, and the original recipe is still a secret.

Louisiana: Bananas Foster

Created in the 1950s when New Orleans was a major port of entry for bananas, this dessert combines bananas, ice cream, and a rum/sugar sauce. Enjoy them at Brennan’s, the restaurant where they were created, or make your own with this recipe. Each year the restaurant uses 35 thousand pounds of bananas to prepare this dessert.

Maine: Whoopie Pies

These delightful treats are a classic Maine dessert. Sort of a cookie, sort of a pie, maybe a cake, we aren’t really sure. While not technically frozen, we found some ways to change that. Try these, or this recipe. Can’t get enough? Head over to the Maine Whoopie Pie Festival and have your fill of homemade Whoopie Pies.

Maryland: Snowball

ice, sweet
Photo courtesy of Facebook

Head over to Snoasis to grab a fresh snowball. These colorful treats are a mixture of shave ice with your choice of syrup, and topped with marshmallow cream. The perfect treat to enjoy when you need refreshment during the summer.

Massachusetts: Frozen Boston Creme Pie

Enjoy a spin-off of the classic Boston dessert with this recipe. The layer of ice cream in the middle is an exciting surprise. However, if you’re a Boston Creme Pie purist, check out this list of the best in Boston.

Michigan: Blank Slate Creamery Ice Cream Sandwich

chocolate, sweet, cream, cookie, cake
Sarah Joh

Grab an ice cream sandwich at this Ann Arbor creamery, and choose from their extensive list of flavors and cookies for a unique combination.

Minnesota: Izzy's Ice Cream

With a location in each of the twin cities and dozens of flavors, thisice cream store is loved by the people of Minnesota. We can see why, they have an electronic system that sends customers a message when their favorite flavor is available in the store. Izzy’s is also home to the Izzy Scoop, a tiny 3/4 oz. scoop on the top of a normal scoop, which lets customers get a little extra and try a different flavor.

Mississippi: Brent's Drugs Milkshake

This classic diner in Jackson, Mississippi is known for its milkshakes. It originally opened as a pharmacy in 1946, but is now a diner, and still serving food 70 years later.

Missouri: Ted Drewes Frozen Custard

caramel, coffee, milk, ice, cream
Photo courtesy of Michael Z. on yelp.com

Ted Drewes (and now Ted Drewes Jr.) has been serving frozen custard in St. Louis for 80 years. The menu offers concretes, malts, shakes, sundaes, floats, and ice cream sodas, in addition to lots of toppings to be mixed into anything you order.

Montana: Big Dipper Huckleberry Shake

dairy product, sweet, cream
Photo courtesy of @nickoletteamay on Instagram

Huckleberries aren’t grown commercially, so take advantage of these fresh berries when you can find them. Big Dipper Ice Cream includes huckleberry on its extensive list of flavors, and will blend a flavor of your choice into a milkshake. Head into one of their three locations, or chase down their ice cream truck.

Nebraska: Sweet Corn Ice Cream

dairy, sorbet, sweet, milk, ice, dairy product, cream
Photo courtesy of Ted and Wally’s Premium Homemade Ice Cream on Facebook

Nebraska is called the Cornhusker State, so it’s no surprise that sweet corn ice cream is a popular dessert. Make it yourself, or head over to Ted and Wally’s in Omaha to try Honey Cornbread, their adaptation of this unique flavor. They also have tons of other interesting flavors, including Asiago Cheese, Tequila Lime, and Glazed Donut.

Nevada: King Kong Sundae

goody, sweet, cake, chocolate, cream, candy, sprinkles
Photo courtesy of Facebook

This crazy dessert consists of 24 scoops of ice cream and lots of toppings. For just $50 you can enjoy it at The Sugar Factory in Las Vegas.

New Hampshire: Frappe

soda, milk, ice, beer
Photo courtesy of Hayward’s Ice Cream on Facebook

Head over to Hayward’s to grab a frappe, a New England tradition. They’ll make it with any flavor of your choice, and there are lots to choose from. They’ve been serving ice cream for 70 years, so they clearly know what they’re doing.

New Jersey: Holsten's Ice Cream

cake, sweet, chocolate, cream, sprinkles
Photo courtesy of Facebook

Holsten’s ice cream parlor was featured in The Sopranos, and has been serving ice cream for 75 years. The owners try to maintain an old-fashioned atmosphere and offer ice cream sodas, sundaes, and scoops, as well as a classic grill menu. We hear the coffee chip milkshake is not to be missed.

New Mexico: The Taos Cow Ice Cream Company

This ice cream company offers all natural ice cream with southwestern inspired flavors. We’re intrigued by the Piñon Caramel and Café Ole. They also have a full menu of food if you’re craving something savory before your frozen dessert.

New York: Black Tap Milkshake

If you’re looking for a frozen treat while in New York, look no further. These crazy milkshakes have been all over social media recently, and with good reason. Head to Black Tap to grab one, or just check out their Instagram; the photos themselves are guaranteed to make you drool.

North Carolina: Sweet Potato Ice Cream

North Carolina is the country’s top supplier of sweet potatoes, so it’s no surprise it made it into this dessert. Try this recipe, or this one to experience this unique flavor for yourself.

North Dakota: Whirl-A-Whip

Stop in at Dakota Drug to try their Whirl-A-Whip. This frozen treat mixes candies or other ingredients into ice cream, and this drugstore has the only remaining machine still in use. If you’re feeling adventurous you can even get dill pickles mixed into your ice cream.

Ohio: Graeter's Ice Cream

chocolate, wafer, ice cream, ice, cream, waffle
Photo courtesy of Facebook

The Graeter family has been making ice cream for almost 150 years, and they still use the same process. This means their ice cream is made in small 2 gallon batches and then hand-packed. They offer a classic fountain menu at their retail locations, or you can buy their ice cream online.

Oklahoma: Braum's Ice Cream

Braum’s makes ice cream with milk fresh from their own cows, and has a wide variety of flavors. Try some butter pecan for a frozen alternative to pecan pie, Oklahoma’s state dessert.

Oregon: Marionberry Pie Ice Cream

Enjoy the classic Oregon pie in ice cream form. Way more exciting than plain old á la mode. It’s made with Madagascar vanilla ice cream, fresh marionberries, and pieces of pie crust. Check it out here.

Pennsylvania: Banana Split

Turns out the Banana Split was invented in Pennsylvania in 1904 by an apprentice pharmacist. The town where it was created holds the Great American Banana Split Celebration every August. We recommend grabbing one at The Franklin Fountain in Philadelphia, which is an adorable recreation of an old soda fountain.

Rhode Island: Del's Frozen Lemonade

tea, cream, sweet, coffee, milk
Photo courtesy of Del’s Lemonade & Refreshments on Facebook

This refreshing combination of ice, lemon and sugar is not only delicious, but also not that bad for you. The recipe has been in the DeLucia family for almost 200 years, so it must be good. Head to Del’s to try it for yourself.

South Carolina: Belgian Gelato

Experience a taste of Italy with handcrafted homemade gelato. This cafe follows the authentic Italian gelato making process at all 3 of their locations. With more intense flavor than regular ice cream, what’s not to love?

South Dakota: S'mores Shake

milkshake, sundae, milk, chocolate, ice, cream
Photo courtesy of Jordan O. on yelp.com

Head on over to Phillip’s Diner in Sioux Falls to grab a decadent S’mores Shake. This classic American diner also offers a full menu so you can fill up on greasy food before your dessert.

Tennessee: Paleta 

Las Paletas in Nashville handcrafts traditional Mexican popsicles to keep you cool and refreshed. You can choose from cream paletas (like an ice cream bar) or fruit paletas (like an ice pop). With over 20 flavors served each day, you are sure to find one you like.

Texas: Amy's Ice Cream

Started in Austin, Amy’s Ice Cream has expanded to two new locations. They offer a rotation of 350 flavors in addition to their seven standard ones, so make sure to visit often to try them all. Tons of toppings are also available to be mixed in.

Utah: Cherry Milkshake

candy, chocolate, ice, sweet, milk, cream
Photo courtesy of Iceberg Drive Inn on yelp.com

Enjoy the state fruit in a creamy blended frozen treat. We recommend sipping a shake from the Iceberg Drive-Inn, which has been serving shakes for over 50 years.

Vermont: Maple Creemee

Vermont is known for their maple syrup and maple candies, as well as this delicious treat. Served all over the state, the Maple Creemee is a delicious combination of soft serve and maple syrup. Check out this map to find a stand that serves them.

Virginia: Moo Thru Ice Cream

Moo Thru offers ice cream made from fresh dairy by the dairy farmers. They offer many flavors, but if you want Butter Pecan make sure to stop by on the weekend, as it isn’t served during the week. Ice cream also happens to be Virginia’s state dessert!

Washington: Molly Moon's Ice Cream

This ice cream store partners with local farmers and producers to source fresh ingredients for their regular and seasonal flavors. We want to try the Balsamic Strawberry and Earl Grey, but keep an eye on the website to check out their current seasonal flavors.

West Virginia: Dairy Creme Corner

butter, chocolate, cream, popcorn
Photo courtesy of Christie V. on yelp.com

Dairy Creme Corner serves up huge portions of ice cream for low prices. If you’re feeling adventurous, get your ice cream served on top of a funnel cake. Or try an Avalanche, their version of a blizzard. You really can’t go wrong with these choices.

Wisconsin: Kopp's Frozen Custard

chocolate, wafer, ice, ice cream, waffle, cream
Photo courtesy of Facebook

Frozen custard from Kopp’s is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. The stand was started in 1950, and was the first to have a flavor of the day in addition to classic chocolate and vanilla. Check out the flavor forecast to see what flavors are coming up.

Wyoming: Moo's Gourmet Ice Cream

Grab a frozen treat at Moo’s Gourmet Ice Cream, located in Jackson Hole. They offer an extensive list of flavors, but we recommend the Wild Huckleberry, made with fresh Wyoming huckleberries. And, all their ice cream is natural and organic!