The approach of spring means one thing to Jewish people: Passover. When I was little, Passover was my favorite Jewish holiday because it meant spending insane amounts of time with family over the course of 2 sedars. However, as I have gotten older, my relationship with Passover has changed.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the holiday. But now, when I think about it, I think of food. How I am going to survive without bread or "chametz" for 8 days and how I am going to survive strictly on Kosher for Passover food?

When I was little, the absence of bread from my diet did not seem as drastic as it does now. I just ate and was satisfied with whatever my mom placed in front of me at the dinner table.

As I started growing older and started making my own meals, my mind always wandered to what was missing from my plate. So, I compiled a list of the Kosher for Passover foods that will make the absence of pizza and pasta seem less drastic and the foods that will make you miss them even more.

Look for:

1. Potato Stix

Potato Stix are a Kosher for Passover lunchbox staple. Not only are they salty and crunchy, but many (including me) would argue that they are better than traditional potato chips. They also come in a variety of flavors such as Original, BBQ and Onion to keep you satisfied for 8 days straight.

2. Tam Tams

The fact that Tam Tams offer a non-Kosher for Passover version throughout the rest of the year means that Tam Tams know how to make the perfect cracker. Tam Tams are both delicious and an excellent substitute for matzah when you start to get sick of it (basically on day 2). They are versatile, come in many flavors and are perfect to be topped with cream cheese or other spreads.

3. Hashahar H'aole Chocolate Spread

Just seeing this brown tub with the yellow lid brings me insane amounts of nostalgia. This chocolate spread can be used for everything and when I say everything, I mean everything. I like it best spread on matzah, but it can be used as filling in Kosher for Passover cakes among other things. 

4. Bissli

I can go on and on about how much I love this Israeli snack. It is crunchy, flavorful and delicious. Bissli is sold year round, but during Passover they offer a Kosher for Passover version. Kosher for Passover Bissli is probably the best Passover version of a normal food that I have tried.

5. Matzah

It almost feels wrong not to include matzah somewhere in this list. But, as anyone who celebrates Passover knows, matzah is good for 1 day...maybe 2 days tops. The dry and tasteless huge square crackers get real boring real fast. However, matzah should not be avoided because it is versatile. It can be topped with almost anything and all of a sudden, becomes a delicious meal or snack.

In the morning, matzah can be topped with butter and scrambled eggs, in the afternoon, matzah can be topped with marinara sauce and cheese to make matzah pizza and at night, matzah can be topped with chocolate spread for dessert.

Stay away from:

1. Macaroons

Macaroons are a controversial food, some people love them and some people hate them. Personally, I think that they are dry and they do not satisfy my sweet tooth.

A better alternative when you are craving something sweet on Passover is Israeli chocolate. As spring approaches, supermarkets begin to stock up on all foods Passover, including Israeli chocolate. 

2. Any Kosher for Passover Cereal

All Jewish children go through this experience, so I am going to try and spare you from it. They wake up one Passover morning, excited to enjoy a bowl of Kosher for Passover cereal and one bite in, they realize it is soggy and disgusting.

Skip the cereal and try some Kosher for Passover cake or cookies for breakfast. Passover is the only time that eating dessert for breakfast is completely acceptable!

3. Jelly Rings

Jelly rings are gross, there is no better way to say it. Who ever thought of dipping jelled raspberry flavoring into dark chocolate owes us an apology.

If you are looking for something chocolate during Passover, try the chocolate dipped marshmallows. I know they are not the best, but they are one of the better chocolate items on the market for the holiday. 

Passover makes 8 days seem like the longest 8 days of the whole year. However, with the right food choices, the holiday is a little more bearable. Hey, you might even start to look forward to it!