The sun is shining, you’re in a bathing suit more often than not, and that tan is on fleek. Summertime is all about looking and feeling great considering the weather. Sometimes it can be nerve-wracking being in shorts and a tank top if you’re not feeling so hot about yourself. That’s why it’s most important that you take full advantage of all the nutritional goodness that summertime has to offer. Here are a few tips that can keep you feeling and looking hot all summer long:

1. Drink water

summer

Gif Courtesy of Giphy.com

Staying hydrated is so important not only for your health but also for your skin and hair. During the summer, it can be easy to completely forget that you haven’t drank enough water that day, especially if you’re downing margaritas by the pool for hours. Enjoy yourself with a few cocktails every now and then, but also try sticking to water and avoiding the sugary drinks.

According to Jolene Hart, “Dehydration releases stress hormones which can lead to an increase in aging inflammation.” So aim to drink about a half gallon a day to keep your skin looking pretty and young. If plain water is too boring for you, try these yummy infused water recipes.

2. Eat the rainbow

summer

Gif Courtesy of Giphy.com

This is probably the most commonly used statement from any nutrition expert. It is often encouraged that in order to get all the nutrients possible from our food that we eat a wide variety of produce ranging in all different colors. In the summertime especially, you are have access to more of a selection of in-season produce than you would during other times of the year. Take advantage of what summer produce has to offer and try incorporating a different color fruit/vegetable in each meal.

3. Don’t be afraid of the “F” word

summer

Gif Courtesy of Giphy.com

And by “F” word, I mean fat of course. There is a common misconception that ALL fat is bad. While it’s true, you should do your best to avoid trans fats and the monounsaturated fats should be celebrated. The “good fats” contain omega 3-fatty acids which are crucial because our bodies are unable to make them on our own. This type of fat keeps you feeling fuller longer and keeps skin looking well-hydrated during these hot summer months. Omega 3’s can be found in foods like olive oil, avocado, and salmon – perfect ingredients for a nice summer salad.

4. Don’t want none if you HAVE buns, hun

summer

Gif Courtesy of Giphy.com

Whether it’s dollar dog night or a summer BBQ, it’s easy to carb up without realizing it. Eating hamburgers and hot dogs with the bun might as well be in the United States’ Constitution but they have no nutritional value and can add an extra 200 calories to your meal. Putting your burger in a lettuce wrap can replace the bun and adding extra vegetables on top can help you feel more full. Also, skipping the bun can eliminate some bloating.

5. Beach trips don’t have to be unhealthy

summer

Photo by Alexa Topakas

Going to the beach usually means quick pizza slices on the boardwalk. Luckily with the smoothie bowl trend, there are healthier options out there. If you’re not already aware of this delicious treat, it’s a smoothie blended with your choice (açaí, pitaya, dragonfruit) topped with granola, agave, and fresh fruit.

This yummy bowl will keep you feeling full for hours. Smoothie bowls have tons of fruits that you wouldn’t normally get in a day. However, it can be high in calories, so I recommend splitting one with a friend (this makes it cheaper, too). Regardless, no shame in treating yourself to this on a nice day at the beach. If you’re not able to find one at your local beach, try making one at home following this recipe.

Summer is when you have the chance to indulge in every experience. Whether its vacations or relaxing in your home, it can be easy to get carried away and begin to over indulge in your food choices. Try following the tips above and you’ll be sure to have a happy and healthy summer.