As a newcomer to the wild state of Texas, I knew I had to experience the State Fair. With last year's fair having an attendance of over 3 million people, I had high hopes. There is nothing quite like walking into the fair and seeing a dad take his toddler over to the giraffe pen (yes, they had giraffes) and saying "Look at the zebra, son!" Almost sir, almost.

After my night at the fair, not only do I feel more in touch with my inner Texan, but I've gained some wisdom to impart to you. Here are some of my do's and don'ts for all you prospective Texas State Fair attendees.

DON'T drive.

beer, wine
Corinne Gibson

Not only was navigating Dallas rush hour traffic a struggle, but parking at the Texas State Fair is a little pricey. Do your budget a favor, and split an Uber with your squad.

DO go to the fair on an empty stomach.

chicken
Corinne Gibson

The only thing I ate before my outing was a salad for lunch, which made me feel marginally better about my fair food choices. I decided to chow down on a piece of fried pepperoni pizza. I have no idea how they made it, but I do know that it was a culinary masterpiece. The fried batter combined with the cheese and marinara-filled goodness was an unbeatable pairing. I'll thoroughly enjoy working it off at the Dedman Rec Center tomorrow.

Some of the other delectable fried goods you can try are deep fried Jell-O, funnel cake, southern fried chicken and dumplings, and fried injectable balls of BBQ (really don't know how they came up with this one). 

To satisfy my sweet tooth after all that fried goodness, I opted for a build-your-own slushy where I mixed up some strawberry and lemonade flavors. Did the light-up souvenir cup I got cost $12? Perhaps. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

DON'T Skip Out on the Ferris Wheel.

water, wine, chocolate
Corinne Gibson

Some of the rides may not be worth the 10 coupon ($5) price tag, but the Texas Star is definitely not one to miss. The line may seem long, but it moves quickly and the views are on point. The Ferris Wheel was the perfect way to unwind after my eating tour of the fair, and I got a little #sentimental looking out over the Dallas skyline.

DO plan to go back.

beer, wine, cake
Corinne Gibson

Honestly, I could spend a week at the Texas State Fair. Seriously, I may go back again tomorrow. It's a zoo, a bar, an eating tour, and an amusement park all in one convenient place — what a cultural experience.

They say everything's bigger in Texas, and I wasn't disappointed in the least by the State Fair. Also, be sure to hit me up if you've got a good post-fair detox plan.