Spring has officially sprung, which also means that summer is right around the corner (thank God). Besides the hot sun, beaches, pools and beverages that are synonymous with summer, there is nothing I love more than the fresh summer fruits and vegetables that are in their prime.

Summer

Photo by: Nikki Katz

Blueberries: This pop-able, fresh and antioxidant-filled finger food is in its prime during the summer months. Make a date out of it with your significant other, girlfriends or cousins and pick your own blueberries. This summer treat has immense health benefits. Blueberries pack a health punch that helps prevent eye deterioration and improve memory and cognitive skills. This summer, mix blueberries into your fro-yo, morning smoothie or dessert.

Summer

Photo by: Nikki Katz

Strawberries: Another favorite, fresh treat. This fruit is best 4-6 weeks after it has been planted. In PA, this means harvest is in June. Some of the best strawberries are locally grown and picked. Strawberries are filled to the brim with vitamins! B1, B2, B3, B6, vitamin K, A and E can all be found in abundance within this red, luscious berry. Try strawberries in your morning yogurt with granola or as a topper to your oatmeal.

Summer

Photo courtesy of tishboyle.blogspot.com

Peaches: Georgia peaches are in their absolute prime come July. Like the Dave Matthews Band song says, “When the juice is dripping off your chin, one peach is not enough.” Almost nothing beats a sweet and juicy fresh peach. Eat summer peaches for breakfast, in a cobbler or in your cereal.

Summer

Photo by: Norah Cliff

Sweet Corn: “Knee high by the 4th of July” is the saying that comes to mind when I think of corn on the cob. Sweet corn is best from mid-August to mid-October. Corn can be grilled, boiled and baked, making it edible with many meal options. One ear of corn averages only 84 calories! Try some new recipes this summer.

Summer

Photo by: Norah Cliff

Tomatoes: Grow your own tomatoes this summer. Tomatoes on the grill is a summer tradition at my house. Mozzarella, fresh basil and balsamic glaze over tomatoes is an excellent appetizer!

If you enjoyed this post, check out these articles: