So, the weather is starting to get warmer, the extra layers are coming off and people are starting to spend more time outdoors. Spring is the perfect season to take the leap towards getting healthier, but most of the time it’s difficult to take the first step.

Whether you want to get in shape, bulk up, lose weight or just simply feel better in your own skin, here are some of the (easy) first steps that will kickstart you on your health journey.

Sleep

There never seem to be enough hours in a day, especially when you’re balancing school, work, exercising, socializing, and so many more things. But, Mom was right when she nagged you about getting your 8 hours of sleep. Not getting an adequate amount of Zzz’s can lead to a slowed metabolism and increased junk food cravings. 

Water 

Water is key for living a healthy life, with over 60% of our make up being H20. Drinking the recommended amount daily leads to clearer skin, higher energy levels and a boosted metabolism. Making quick switches, like bringing a reusable bottle to class or swapping your daily diet coke with one of these tasty fruit-infused recipes makes all the difference. 

Exercise 

Sounds like a no brainer, right? Regular exercise releases endorphins that keep your body feeling happy and keep your positivity up. Seriously, nothing feels better then finishing up a good work out!

Regular exercise doesn’t have to be painful; take a study break with friends and walk around campus or try some of these easy in dorm workouts!

Lessen The Stress

Remember to take a deep breath and relax! The constant stress that comes as a result as copious amounts of work can be damaging on your body, especially when stress leads to stress eating. Take some time to treat yourself or try some of these foods that are proven to aid in reducing stress. 

Moderation 

Moderation is key to staying on top of your health. It’s okay to treat yourself to a scoop of ice cream every once in a while, as long as you’re not finishing off an entire carton nightly. Depriving yourself isn’t the answer, but instead making smart decisions and being able to reward yourself is much more satisfying. 

Motivation

And lastly, the road to getting healthy begins with motivation! Make sure to encourage yourself to keep you on track to achieving your goals. Whether it be setting goals with friends, having a workout group, or hanging up some motivational mantras, set up reminders to push yourself and achieve your goals.

Success starts after the first step, no matter how small that step is! With the warmer weather approaching, take some time out to focus on your own health and happiness. We only get one body, so make sure to treat it right!