There has been a raging debate on Twitter about a very important topic — whether or not ketchup should be kept in the refrigerator. Let's just say people have been getting fired up about this issue. 

In fact, 77% of people who voted in this poll said that ketchup should be stored in the fridge. The main argument for this side being that a bottle of Heinz ketchup says, "For best results, refrigerate after opening."

Know the Facts

On the FAQ of Heinz's website, it says that you can technically keep ketchup on the shelf because of its natural acidity, which will inhibit bacteria growth. But, if you want to maintain the best ketchup quality possible, your best bet is to keep it in the fridge. 

It turns out ketchup can only last for a month out on the table without spoiling. So, if you are obsessed with ketchup and use it on the reg, it's safe to keep out.

However, if you only use it once in a while, it's probably better to refrigerate it because it will last up to six months. Cool temperatures will help keep this condiment flavorful and fresh. You don't want the color or quality to deteriorate.

#SpoonTip: If you're not sure if your ketchup has gone bad, take a whiff. If ketchup goes bad, you'll be able to smell it because of the mold build up. 

The Decision

When you go out to eat you don't get up from the table and go into the kitchen when you want ketchup, right? Okay, yeah. Restaurants leave their ketchup bottles on the table, but it's most likely due to how quickly they go through the bottles. 

Do what ya want, but I would listen to the bottle. Those ketchup experts know what they're talking about. I don't think they would put it on every bottle if it they didn't mean it.

Personally, I'd rather not risk eating moldy ketchup. Besides, what's the big deal about keeping it chilled? Even though you might not be a fan of having something cold on hot food, it's worth the extra trip to the refrigerator, considering it will last six times as long.