Many people look to marijuana as a sleep aid. The symptoms after smoking are typically feeling relaxed, hungry, and sleepy so it seems like a good idea to turn to it when you just want to get some sleep quickly. You may be able to get some shut eye with weed, but your sleep just won’t be the same.

We all know the ill effects of alcohol on our sleep: we wake up more frequently in the middle of the night, tossing and turning, and awake to a horrible headache or the spins in the morning. The effects of marijuana are not as obvious because you usually don’t notice those obvious hangover signals like you do with alcohol.

marijuana

You probably notice that you fall asleep more quickly, but what happens after you fall asleep? Marijuana interferes with your REM cycle. This is the stage in sleep of rapid eye movement, heightened brain activity, and vivid dreams. That being said, it is not conclusive yet whether marijuana aids or hinders with sleep disorders like insomnia.

marijuana

You have to remember that extensive testing has not been done as thoroughly because based on federal law, marijuana is still considered illegal. With possible legalization becoming a reality for more areas, we might get some more conclusive answers on the short and long term effects on our sleeping habits.