Yep, you read that right. Salad’s UP is now serving some breakfast options that are giving Starbucks and Panera something to worry about, but salad for breakfast? I get it. I’m not about to pass up a cinnamon crunch bagel for that. Luckily, the new menu at Salad’s UP brings a unique set of breakfast dishes to Ann Arbor that maintain the restaurant's quick and healthy food mission. I’m talking to you, Kerrytown/Sterling/Varsity wolverines, stopping by Salad’s UP on your way to class is a must.

Why breakfast?

tea, coffee, beer, milk
Annie Slabotsky

Ever since establishing a secure customer base, Salad’s UP has been hoping to expand their menu. They’ve slowly added more options beyond salads, and they started off this school year right, launching their new breakfast in September. What does a make-your-own salad restaurant serve for breakfast? Anything from smoothies, to bowls, to wraps. I’ll try to describe the deliciousness, but disclaimer: I’m probably not doing it justice.

I’m sure you’ve noticed the new breakfast bowl craze. You know, those Instagram posts blowing up your feed with mango flowers and intricate peanut butter swirls. Well, now you can finally stop gawking over those pictures and actually enjoy a breakfast bowl without any of the time, grocery shopping, or creativity involved. 

The breakfast bowls

sweet, berry, strawberry, yogurt, blueberry
Annie Slabotsky

Salad’s UP offers six bowls, and they're made fresh every morning with either a quinoa, Greek yogurt, or steel-cut oat base. You can choose from options like the Greek Lightning (Greek yogurt, granola, banana, blueberries, strawberries, and honey drizzle) and the Gainz Bowl (quinoa, banana, pretzels, chocolate chips, and peanut butter drizzle - pictured below).

chocolate, sweet, cream, milk, coffee, candy
Annie Slabotsky

There's also the American Pie (oats, apples, graham crackers, cinnamon, and honey drizzle) and the Oat Em Gee (oats, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, and honey drizzle), which are also crowd favorites. I mean, honestly, they had me hooked with the punny names, but the filling, creative bowls are what have me salivating and eager to go back.

The other breakfast stars

sweet, juice
Annie Slabotsky

If a bowl doesn’t tickle your fancy, Salad’s UP has also added four smoothies and three breakfast salad wraps to their menu. To satisfy a smaller appetite, try the Power Moves (peanut butter, banana, cinnamon, Greek yogurt, and almond milk smoothie) or the Earthling (strawberry, blueberries, banana, and OJ drank - pictured above).

Looking for something more hefty?

Annie Slabotsky

But, if you’re trying to power up for a study day (or find comfort after too epic of a night out), the Carnivore (egg, steak, turkey bacon, red onion, cheddar, fingerling potatoes, BBQ Russian dressing) will do the trick, and it won't leave you feeling as weighed down as other breakfast equivalents might. 

Next time you need breakfast, think of Salad's UP

vegetable, cream, sweet
Annie Slabotsky

Although Salad’s UP continues to mature, they still maintain their core values of freshness and health. Every dish is still made to order right in front of your eyes. The new menu attempts to bring flavors and choices that will, hopefully, draw a wide variety of customers. So, next time the roomies are brunching, drag them to Salad’s UP to show them what it’s all about. If they aren’t having the idea, remind them that their purchase supports the Michigan alumni owners (HAIL yeah) and promise that they don’t have to eat salad.