As college students, we often embrace our independence; we have the luxury to create our own schedule, stay out late on school nights, and wear pajamas in public.  However, after a stressful day, sometimes we wish we had our parents to make us dinner at night.

Who’s to say we can’t still enjoy the foods we loved so much as children?  For those Broncos who still have meal points, help your older friends out once in a while and grab them one of these snacks at the Cellar – it will make their day.

Lunchables

childhood

Photo by Sarah Smith

Ah, the holy grail of school lunches. Once your mom got tired of your constant begging, finally caved in and bought you one, you instantly had bragging rights at school the next day. The amount of preservatives and chemicals in the box didn’t even cross your mind, but probably terrified your mom.

Either way, Lunchables provide a whole meal in a convenient box, so take advantage of a quick on-the-go lunch, and don’t stress about having to wait in the sandwich line for hours if you’re in a rush.

Chicken Nuggets

childhood

Photo by Nicola Brooks

The best dinner ever. Even better if they were shaped to somewhat resemble objects (dino nuggets, anyone?). The sight of the crispy, golden brown halo surrounding tender, white meat – still steaming from the oven – brings instant flashbacks.

What we seem to have forgotten is how amazingly convenient the preparation of these golden nuggets are: freezer to oven, ready in 10 minutes. At the end of a long day of midterms, who could complain about chicken nuggets for dinner when they are so easy?  Sometimes, the Cellar even sells the adult “chicken strips” so you don’t have to feel as bad about your toddler-aged meal choice.

String Cheese

childhood

Photo by Sarah Smith

I have recently rediscovered the glory of string cheese (thus, the inspiration for writing this article). Truly, string cheese is not only one of the most fun snacks to eat, but also very healthy. Most are part skim mozzarella cheese, containing less than 100 calories apiece.

I love to pair them with pretzel thins for a great snack or light meal.  The Cellar sells them in individual or six-packs, so you can stock up if need be.  If you’re looking for a classy treat to bring to wine and cheese night, you can always wrap these with prosciutto for a snack all your roommates will be jealous of.

Capri Sun

childhood

Photo by Sarah Smith

This enchanting beverage still tastes like a hot summer day. For those of you lucky enough to have your parents pack them in a school lunch, the rest of us are jealous to this day.  For us, Capri Suns remind us of the pool parties and sports games where we were served these magical pouches.

But, who’s to say we can’t still use them at parties…the possibilities for alcohol combination are endless. Beware: your straw stabbing skills may be hindered once intoxicated.

Animal Crackers

childhood

Photo by Sarah Smith

Crackers, cookies, or both? Honestly, no one really knows, but what I do know is that these were arguably the most delicious of all childhood snacks. These delectable treats were always a hit amongst peers at the lunch table.

Whether or not they actually resembled animals was irrelevant, as the circus themed packaging was always the best part. Since they aren’t fully cookies, no need to feel guilty about eating a few dozen (boxes) of them, just don’t sit in Benson with your box or those precious animals will be gone before you know it.