When you walk down the snack aisle of the grocery store, you’re bombarded by billions of boxes filled with granola bars. The options seem endless as your eyes quickly dart from one colorfully labeled box to the next. Before you let the competing companies and battling brands overwhelm your judgment, it’s important to remember what you want out of your granola bar.

Each bar has its own unique qualities specifically tailored to meet certain snacking standards. Granola bars are made with different purposes for hungry people on the go. With that in mind, you can choose the bar that complements your taste and supports your lifestyle.

To help you decide which bar you want to buy, we’ve matched your preferences with four types of good granola bars for the job: 

High Protein: Cliff Bars

granola bar

Photo by Alanna Schloss

If you’re looking to strengthen your muscles, you can get protein on the go by snacking on a Cliff bar. With a variety of flavors from White Chocolate Macadamia Nut to Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, each bar is packed with at least 9 grams of protein to support an active lifestyle and aid muscles development.

Whole Grains: Nature Valley

NatureValley

Photo by Alanna Schloss

Nature Valley granola bars have 16 grams of whole grain in every crunchy serving. Grab one of these bars if you need energy to get through a long day because the whole grains provide essential carbohydrates that constantly fuel your body.

Natural Ingredients: Kashi Bars

Kashi

Photo by Alanna Schloss

Free from artificial flavors and preservatives, Kashi bars are made from a natural blend of 7 whole grains along with a variety of other organic ingredients. Hearty roasted nuts and real dried fruit are key elements of Kashi’s many granola bars.

Low Saturated Fat: Nutri-Grain Bars

NutriGrain2

Photo by Alanna Schloss

Even though Nutri-Grain bars are certified cereal bars, their low count of saturated fats makes them the ideal bars if you are looking to reduce your intake of the cholesterol causing fats. With 0.5 gram of saturated fat per serving, these bars are worthy snacks even if they don’t (technically) contain granola.

Instead of being overwhelmed by the abounding options when searching for the perfect granola bar, use the above suggestions to grab the bar that works best for your snacking preferences.