As an on-the-go, active teen with too little time on my hands, I'm always on the look out for healthy, portable foods. Better yet, healthy, portable foods that will satify my sweet tooth. When I first heard the rumor of Quest's Hero Bars, I was eager to try them. As a regular Cookie Dough Quest Bar eater, I was ready for a new product with all the benefits of protein.

The Hero Bars are advertised as a new protein bar meant for people with a love for sweets. They contain a rare sugar called allulose which is practically calorie free. While a typical gram of sugar has 4.0 calories, one gram of allulose has .4 calories. That's only 10% of the calories. This new form of sugar is just as sweet as sugar, acts like sugar, and even has the same texture as sugar. You get all that in each bar, but not the added calories sugar usually contains.

Each bar has 15-17 grams of protein, and 4 grams of net carbs. Better yet, they have 10-11 grams of fiber to keep your digestive system running. With all of the hype around the new bars, I was eager to try them out.

The Taste Test

Quest sent their biggest fan (aka me) the new Hero Bars to try out. All of the reviews I read claimed they were the best protein bars on the market. Many consumers commented on how they loved the fact that they didn't have a strange aftertaste. Over the course of a few days, my friends and I tried some of the bars. We all came to the consensus that for the relatively low calorie count, and high amount of fiber and protein, these rank as some of the best bars.

Blueberry Cobbler 

candy
Marisa Palace

Description: I won't lie- the first thought that came to my mind when I tried this bar was definitely not "Wow this takes like a blueberry cobler." However, despite that, I did wonder why I had never had one until now. The bar was perfectly sweet and the berry caramel was just as soft and gooey as the caramels in the other bars. With 17 grams of protein (the most of all the bars) and 170 calories (the least of all of the bars), this is definitely the best nutrition-wise.  

Rating: 8/10

Vanilla Caramel

cake
Marisa Palace

Description: This bar, although my least favorite of the bunch, should not be forgotten about. It was a bit too sweet for my liking, but the vanilla flavor was prominent. I had hoped for a stronger almond flavor, but the extra crunch they added throughout made up for it.

Rating: 7/10

Chocolate Caramel Pecan

chocolate
Marisa Palace

Description: I definitely saved the best for last. The chocolate coating was remincient of any candy bar you'd get on Halloween. I would have no complaints if I was actually given one of these bars instead of a Snickers. This bar was satifying and I would 100% recommend it to someone who has a sweet tooth.

Rating: 10/10

Where to Buy Your Own

Curious to see what the hype is all about? Hero Bars are sold at stores across the nation. To see a full list of the stores they are sold at, you can check out this map on their website.

Better yet, you can have them shipped to your door in a matter of days through QuestNurition.com. Now, there is no more need to waste the unnecessary fats, sugars, and calories on a typical candy bar. Be a hero to yourself, and treat yourself to one of these bars.