The typical breakfast of an American consists of a grain based, sugar infused, overly-processed thing we happen to call cereal. When drenched in a bowl of milk, the calorie count of the average breakfast soars to over 250 calories and an unimaginable amount of sugar. Quest Nurtrition, maker of the cereal protein bar, is on a mission to make clean eating fun.

Launched in early 2017, the "uncereal" bars are taking the shelves by storm. The definition of cereal is a grain based product. However, these bars feature a protein base. Unlike a bowl of cereal, the bars have 110 calories, 6 to 7 grams of fiber, and 12 grams of protein. The bars are advertised to keep you going throughout the day. I was on a mission to see if they lived up to the advertisements.

The Taste Test

Quest sent the three current cereal bar flavors right to my door. For three days in a row, I ate one bar for breakfast to not only try the flavors, but also see if they'd keep me functioning until lunch. Not only was I satisfied until my next meal, but each bar was suprisingly flavorful. None of them felt as though I was eating a "diet bar." I'd have no issue eating any of the bars even if it wasn't full of protein.

Cinnamon Roll

grass
Marisa Palace

Verdict: Inspired by Cinnamon Toast Crunch, this bar definitely hit the spot. I found the cinnamon flavor to taste a bit artificial, but that did not mean it was automatically bad. The popular cereals usually have the same taste to them as well. Of course, any cinnamon roll isn't complete without some type of icing. The icing was spread out perfectly, so I was able to get some in each bite.

Ranking: 8/10

Waffle

chocolate, beer
Marisa Palace

Verdict: My favorite of the bunch, the bar had a sweet maple flavor with a hint of cinnamon. When Quest said they "baked the waffle flavor into each bite," they didn't lie. It had the taste of a freshly made waffle, and they even added a dizzle of vanilla glaze. 

Ranking: 10/10

Chocolate

beer, coffee
Marisa Palace

Verdict: While I'll admit I'm not the hugest fan of Cocoa Krispies, this bar really impressed me. I was surprised how they really nailed the chocolate flavor. The bar easily satisfied any sweet cravings I had. So for any chocoloholics who need to cut back, this one is a must have.

Ranking: 9/10

Where To Get Your Own

Quest Cereal Beyond Bars are sold at many chain stores around the country. You can check out the map on their website to see where they are sold near you. Or, for your convience, you can have them shipped straight to your door. A clean and easy breakfast is only a drive, or a few clicks, away.