As children, we were told to be creative, with one exception: we were forbidden from playing with our food. We were encouraged to use our imaginations, but sticking our hands into our spaghetti to dig up ‘worms’ would get us sent to bed without dessert.

By now, you’ve probably matured and see food as something that only appeals to your sense of taste. We’re here to tell you to break your parents age old rule, because you should definitely be playing with your food.

In fact, playing with your food is more than just really fun. In some cases, it’s art. Some artists spend hours transforming ordinary ingredients into the unimaginable. Jason Mercier made an amazingly realistic portrait of Kevin Bacon out of (you guessed it) –  bacon.

food

Photo Courtesy of www.acclaimmag.com

Pancake art has recently become a super-hot trend. What’s better than eating a flapjack shaped like a dinosaur? Some people create mind-blowing designs with their batter. It’s almost too good to eat – almost.

Instagram superstar Brittany Wright uses different foods to create #foodgradients. The gorgeous colors and patterns will almost make you forget what you’re seeing is really made of eggs.

For the ambitious artist, there are tutorials on Pinterest for making the perfect Hello Kitty Sushi.

food

Photo Courtesy of www.collegehumor.com

Chris Durso is arguably the King of the food-as-art concept. His project, The Foodnited States of America, is an interpretation of each state using food puns. Our faves? New Jerky and Kalefornia.

food

Photo Courtesy of www.boredpanda.com

So the next time you make yourself dinner, don’t be afraid to get creative. You could come up with a masterpiece – and we promise we won’t tell mom and dad.