Do you like free stuff? Because we do. A lot. And accessing it around NYC is easier than ever with the new PayPal App for Smartphones.

Here’s how it works: download the free PayPal app, create a username and password, and link it to your credit card (this can all be done online). Once you have the app, location services finds places that accept PayPal near you. What’s even better is the “Deals” function that shows you which places nearby have specials or coupons.

PayPal

Photo by Katherine Baker

The best part? The coupons are legit. For example, there are often $5-$10 coupons that pop up once a week or so for local favorite places like The Bean, Wayside Coffee , Victory Garden, Pomme FritesChikalicious Dessert Bar, and The Hummus Place. And sometimes, the coupons are actually amazing. We’ve witnessed $20 coupons for cafes. Every Thursday if you use the PayPal app any Bean location between 11:30am-3:30pm, you get a free lunch special, which includes a sandwich, fruit or chips, a cookie, and a water bottle. For free.

PayPal

Photo by Katherine Baker

Just a few tips:

• Make sure you download the coupon before you go buy things. Save it to your account and make sure the coupon turns green and says “Apply to Next Purchase.”
  • Many of the coupons require you to use the full amount to get reimbursed. You can use the coupon in multiple transactions, but make sure you use the whole thing before the expiration date or your credit card gets charged.
  • Make sure you log-in to your account and “Check In” at your location too before you get to the cash register. From there, tell the cashier you’re paying with PayPal and tell them your name. Like magic, free things will appear before you. You don’t even have to fumble to get your wallet out.

We’re big fans of PayPal. We like local businesses and like them even more when delicious things come to us without us paying for them. Overall, it’s a fun, hassle-free way to pay, and the coupons are a great excuse to try new places or treat yourself to something a little fancier than you normally would (what up free dirty chai!). New locations that accept PayPal pop up daily, and is sure to only become an increasingly popular way to pay.