Through Northeastern’s co-op program, where students have the chance to complete a six month full time internship, I had the chance to work at Reebok’s International Headquarters. I learned not only more about my major, my role in the company, and the apparel industry, but I’ve also learned so much about what fitness means.

fitness

Photo by Monica Zunick

I’ve had immense personal growth from CrossFit workouts with my manager, hearing about the brand’s goals, and surrounding myself with people who are passionate about fitness.

fitness

Photo by Monica Zunick

What exactly is “fitness” though?

To some people it means taking the stairs instead of the elevator while to others it means 6 am cycling class everyday. Meanwhile, it can also mean avoiding processed sugar or having a solid work-life balance. The beauty in fitness is that you determine what it means to you, although that doesn’t mean that you can’t listen to what others think too.

fitness

Photo by Monica Zunick

It’s important to let others push you; sometimes they’ll see your potential before you do.

There have been times that I’ve felt sluggish, overwhelmed, and ultimately unmotivated to workout. Times like these have made me realize the importance of having people around that lift you up and push you to get out there. You need people in your life who will challenge you to lift weights heavier than you thought was possible or go to a cycling class when you only really thought of yourself as a runner.

fitness

Photo by Monica Zunick

As much as there is an emphasis on being physically fit, that isn’t the be-all end-all, believe it or not.

Wait, what? Yup, you can read that again. Fitness encompasses physical, mental, and social health.

fitness

Photo by Monica Zunick

This means going to a group fitness class instead of always plugging into your headphones and working out alone. It means finding a balance between your actual work and life so you have time to clear your mind through exercise. It means choosing water over soda because you know that sweetened beverages don’t have any nutritional value.

I’ve learned that it’s important to me to work for a company that is trying to improve people’s lives. They’re about more than just selling shoes; they’re about building a stronger, happier, and fitter future.