What is it?

Matcha is essentially powdered green tea. No, not that instant stuff. It’s actually ground up tea leaves from bushes that are grown in the shade, allowing their color and flavor to develop.

So, why is it good for you?

Matcha is a triple threat. It boosts metabolism, burns fat and contains high amounts of antioxidants. The ORAC measures the antioxidant capacity of foods. Matcha is said to have 1,300+ ORAC per gram. A normal serving size is 1 tsp (when combined with 8 ounces of hot water). That contains 5 grams. You do the math! It has virtually no calories, making it a healthy edition to any diet, and especially to those of you who are still trying to maintain those New Year’s resolutions. Even better, it’s known to give drinkers a “calm-alertness,” triggered by the L-theanine, an amino acid that it contains. So, skip the Red Bull that makes you jittery and opt for this healthier alternative.

What does it taste like?

Matcha tends to be bitter yet earthy with a twinge of sweet. Usually, heated water or milk is added to it. The newest trend is the matcha latte, popping up in cafés around the world.

Not only is matcha insanely healthy, it is also delicious, find it in some of these (not as healthy) snacks:

Green Tea Pocky

Matcha Green Tea Cream Pocky

Photo by Sarah Wu

These “biscuit sticks” are covered with a green tea cream that contains green tea powder. Great for snacking on the go.

Green Tea Mochi

Green Tea Mochi

Photo by Sarah Wu

Matcha mochi is made with glutinous sticky rice, giving this traditional Japanese dessert a chewy texture. The inside contains green tea ice cream.

Matcha Kit-Kats

Matcha Kit Kat

Photo by Sarah Wu

These beauties are matcha & white chocolate Kit Kats. The white chocolate balances out the matcha’s bitterness, resulting in a creamy and unique flavor.

Matcha Crêpe Cake with Green Tea Ice Cream

A photo posted by Lydia Kailey (@lidiarsela) on

For those of you that live in Boston or close to BU, Gyu-Kaku offers a matcha crêpe cake with green tea ice cream, giving you the best of both worlds.

Matcha Green Tea Macarons

Need somewhere else in the Back Bay to get your matcha fix? Gourmet Boutique at the Westin-Copley features gorgeous matcha green tea macarons.

In the mood for more? Check out these articles.