Throughout elementary school, my classmates and I were always stuck with the same ol’ turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch, with the exception of the occasional Lunchable. We complained to our parents because we wanted something new, but there’s something about the easiness and convenience of deli meats that is hard to beat when it comes to packed lunches.

As we got older, we realized that the deli meats that our parents had been packing for us are loaded with harmful nitrates. This realization may have induced mini-freak outs and impromptu decisions to go vegetarian. Yet, we come to college and rediscover the simplicity of a cold cut sandwich.

We all know that we’re too lazy for anything else, so let’s just not think about harmful nitrates while we quickly pack this sammie for lunch. Here are some yummy, on-the-go, lunch alternatives for the high-maintenance preteen in all of us that just CAN’T bear another turkey sandwich.

1. PB&J

lunch

Photo by Rachel Murray

Okay, so this might be an obvious one, but it’s still a lunchtime classic. The best part is that it’s not packed with nitrates! And you can make it in six new ways if you’re feeling ambitious.

2. Veggie Sandwiches

Neal’s Deli by Sara Tane" src="https://spoonuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/51/2015/02/unknown-copy.jpeg" alt="lunch" width="640" height="480" />

Photo Courtesy of Neal’s Deli by Sara Tane

Stuff it full for a dense lunch or keep it light to hold you over until your next meal. Add a bit of avocado or some cheese slices for an extra treat and you’re good to go!

3. Greek Style Tray with Pita and Hummus

lunch

Photo by April Purvis

Hummus and pita are easy to find, and it doesn’t take much to transform this snack into a wholesome meal! Add peppers, olives, beans or a cucumber salad for some added sophistication.

4. Chicken or Tuna Salad

lunch

Photo by Rachel Murray

Deli salads are going to be a lot fresher than just about any cold cut you’ll be eating. As we all know, tuna salad is not the most pleasant scent, so you might want to save this option for a less social lunch.

5. Egg Salad

Neal’s Deli by Sara Tane" src="https://spoonuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/51/2015/02/unknown.jpeg" alt="lunch" width="640" height="456" />

Often, people think of egg salad as a side dish, but it’s actually so much more- throw it on bread or a bagel. Again, scent factor on this one is questionable, so we wouldn’t recommend bringing this one to a lunch date.

6. BLT

lunch

Photo by Sara Tane

Let’s talk about love, baby. Let’s talk about B-L-T. Throw on some avocado ’cause you deserve it.

6. Egg sandwich on a Bagel

lunch

Photo by Sara Tane

These aren’t just for breakfast or ungodly hangovers (although they are perfect for both). Make it with cheese and your breakfast meat of choice for the perfect brunch on the go.

7. Falafel

lunch

Photo by Rachel Murray

Falafel is super easy to buy or to make at home. Your local Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s will have quite the supply waiting for you. Wrap it in a pita if you want, and your friends will totally be jealous of your authentic Grecian artistry.

Looking for more lunchtime ideas? Check these out: