The Fitness and Aquatics Center (FAC) at Loyola can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. Some days, the walk from main campus can seem like it's 5 miles, but on days when the temperature isn't below 50 degrees, it feels like 5 minutes.

Most girls at the gym stick to a strict routine of cardio, weights, and abs while the majority of the guys won't be seen anywhere except looking at themselves in the mirrors of the free-weight area. But what about classes? 

Group fitness classes not only help you meet new people, but they also hold you accountable for working out. Trust me, a few weeks in and you won't want to miss that jam packed 45 minutes to an hour of fitness.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know where to start with it comes to group fitness classes. But, worry no more. I took all of the group fitness classes at the FAC so you don't have to worry about walking into a class only to find out that it's not your style.

1. Spin45 

This 45 minute spin class is perfect for those cardio-junkies who are tired of running on the treadmill or doing the elliptical. The Spin45 classes will slightly differ based on the teacher but all of them have some of the same components: LOUD music, sprints, hills, and lots of sweating. Some of the teachers even incorporate weights just like Soul Cycle. Spin45 is the perfect full body workout if you're short on time.

2. RPM

RPM is what I like to call "Spin45 on crack". This class is just like a normal spin class except it focuses more on high intensity sprints, intervals, and hills. The music drives the class and sets the tone for each exercise.

#SpoonTip it's best to try a few Spin45 classes before RPM.

3. Absolution

Don't be fooled, this 20 minute class will make those abs BURN. Lisa, the instructor, reminds me a lot of my dance teachers growing up. She knows what she is talking about and she isn't afraid of yelling if you don't listen to her. This class might seem intimidating at first, but give it a few weeks and you will see results. Add a spin class, and you'll have the perfect workout.

4. CX WORX

CXWORX is a 35 minute class that uses weights and resistance bands to focus on strengthening the core. This class will also work your arms, legs, and back. Even if you're in a rush, there's no excuse not to come to this class for a great workout.

5. Resist-A-Ball Sculpt

This class combines cardio, lifting (a stability ball - not as easy as it looks), and various squats and leg work. Some of the things you do in this class may look a little silly, but they seriously work. I was sore for at least four days after this class. It worked my legs, glutes, and arms. Spring Break body, here I come.

6. BodyPump

This barbell strength training class will target your entire body. In an hour, you'll work all of the major muscle groups while keeping your heart rate up and listening to some awesome music. Don't be intimidated by the regulars, you get to pick your own weights and set the difficulty of the class.

7. Pilates on the Ball

I've been taking this class at 7:30am-8:30am on Mondays and Wednesdays for the past few months (Yes, working out that early is absolutely insane) and it's the best way to spend the morning. Although not as cardio-intense as some of the other classes, this class focuses more on tiny movements to shape, tone, and gain full-body strength throughout the body. I work enough to break a sweat while still getting time to reflex on the day ahead of me. Plus, rolling around on a stability ball is always fun.

8. POP Pilates

The latest Pilates trend has come to Loyola in the form of POP Pilates. This class has a combination of total body Pilates exercises with the idea of choreographed dance and high energy music. I personally love the energy of this class. Even though the class was an hour, I didn't look at the clock once and I keep coming back for more.

9. Yoga

Stressed? Anxious? Feeling sluggish? You need yoga. Yoga is the ultimate stress reliever for me and I always leave the class feeling refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the week. Yoga is the best class to take when you don't feel like working out. You have the ability to push yourself and work on your body while also taking care of your mind. 

10. BodyFlow

This class combines yoga, tai chi, and pilates while building flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. If you are scared to try yoga, give BodyFlow a try first. You will feel a state of balance after completing the class by doing controlled breathing and a structured set of moves and poses. 

11. Zumba

When you hear "group fitness", I'm sure Zumba is what first pops into your head. This fun, cardio and dance-based class is about as close to the club as you can get at a gym. When I need a pick-me-up or just some energy, I head over to a Zumba class and move my body. The latin-inspired music and combinations always bring a fun time.

12. BodyCombat

Get your anger out with this hour long class. In BodyCombat, you will be getting your cardio for the day through various martial arts inspired moves and combinations. Although this class is focused on being a cardio based class, prepare to have sore abs the next day.

#SpoonTip grab a towel before you head to this class. Sweating is guaranteed.

All in all, if going to the gym and working out on your own isn't your thing, don't sweat it. Group fitness classes are a great way to workout and have fun, too. The Loyola FAC offers a wide variety that can appeal to everybody. So go grab a buddy and head to that yoga class!