You know the drill — get out of bed and pour yourself the first coffee of the day while you’re half asleep. This might get you going, or you might need one or two more cups, but then you have a caffeine crash, and you’re just as tired as you were when you woke up.

While we can all agree that coffee has its own health benefits and is very delicious, there’s a drink that’s even better: warm lemon water. No, really, hear us out. Here’s why you should revitalize your morning with warm lemon water that not only quenches your thirst, but is packed with vitamins, nutrients, and many other benefits.

1. Energy Boost

lemon

Lemons are a natural source of potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Similar to Gatorade, lemons have many electrolytes that can hydrate the tissues in your body and flush out toxins at the same time.

2. Stronger Immune System

lemon

Photo courtesy of homeremediesstation.com

Oranges aren’t the only source of vitamin C. When the vitamin C in lemons mixes with water, it acts as an adaptogen, a natural substance that exerts a normalizing effect on bodily processes, helping fight against viruses and other infections.

3. Lose Weight

lemon

Photo courtesy of favim.com

Have you ever heard of pectin fibers? They delay the absorption of glucose in the body and normalize blood lipid levels, reducing hunger cravings and thus helping you lose weight. Good news, lemons are full of them.

4. Reduce Stress

lemon

Photo courtesy of oliverwyman.com

Depression and anxiety are often a result of not enough potassium in the blood stream. Even the scent of lemons can calm your nervous system. Got an exam week coming soon? Drink up.

5. Improve Skin

lemon

Photo courtesy of youne.com

Lemons are anti-everything that causes pimples and inflammation on your skin. Its antioxidants can erase wrinkles and blemishes, and its anti-inflammatory properties can reduce the look of pimples and redness. Bonus tip: cut a lemon in half and massage it on your face for a deeper clean.

6. Fresh Breath

lemon

Photo courtesy of naturalhealthcareforyou.com

Don’t be sour. The acidity of lemons stimulate the salivary glands, preventing dry mouth, which is one of the most common causes of bad breath. Thankfully, lemon water is not strong enough to destroy your enamel. It can also prevent gum disease and relieve toothaches.

7. Help You Focus

lemon

Photo courtesy of @stylecusp on Instagram

Who knew lemon heads were so smart? Lemons have a higher concentration of negative ions than any other fruit. This increases the amount of oxygen to the brain, making you feel more alert and less drowsy.

Cheers to better mornings, more energy, reducing stress, and overall better health.

lemon