I don't eat doughnuts often, but when I do I usually buy something from Krispy Kreme. I'm not sure why it's my go-to doughnut place, but I think having a close childhood friend from North Carolina has something to do with it.

If I’m going to Krispy Kreme for a breakfast treat, I keep my order fairly simple. One original glazed doughnut to knock back with the apple I brought with me (I'm trying to live a balanced lifestyle and all that). Thankfully, Krispy Kreme has kept those of us with simpler tastes in mind with the launch of its latest "doughnut-worthy" coffee. 

The new coffee comes in two blends, Smooth and Rich. Smooth is supposed to be subtler than Rich (go figure) and has been specially designed to be the perfect complement to Krispy Kreme’s original glazed doughnut. Creating a coffee that pairs perfectly with this iconic doughnut was harder than you’d think because the flavor profile had to be just right.

The Smooth blend is slightly acidic with notes of citrus and nuttiness to balance the sweetness of the doughnut. The Rich blend is medium-bodied with a well-rounded flavor from the mix of Central, African, and Indo-Pacific coffee beans.

In non-coffee lingo, what all that means is that Krispy Kreme isn’t playing around when they say they’ve perfected a coffee blend that perfectly complements their doughnuts.

Die-hard Dunkin’ fan or just skeptical whether Krispy Kreme’s coffee is as good as it sounds? From February 6th through the 28th, you’ll get a free original glazed doughnut if you purchase any size of their new coffee.

If I were you, I’d give this doughnut and coffee combo a few tries. You know, for science.