Halo Top is currently the king of all ice creams. If you haven't heard of it, Halo Top is a low-calorie, low-sugar, high-protein ice cream. A single pint has anywhere between 240 to 360 calories, and up to 24 grams of protein. And the best part? It actually tastes AMAZING. But is Halo Top actually healthy? After eating my fair share, I had to fully investigate this one. Here's what you should know.

What's In Halo Top?

coffee, tea, milk, beer, chocolate
Sarah Arora

The Halo Top site lists every flavor along with every ingredient that is used. For every flavor, there are only a few ingredients. Flavors like chocolate have natural cocoa, and the vanilla has actual vanilla bean. I had the birthday cake flavor in my freezer, and there was nothing sketchy on the label that I couldn't pronounce. 

coffee, chocolate, cream
Sarah Arora

Unlike most "diet" products, Halo Top does not seem to contain anything suspect. I can actually pronounce the name of every ingredient, which is always a good sign. 

With Halo Top you might see a couple of added sweeteners like erythritol and stevia, but you won't see any corn syrup, which is an ingredient in many other ice creams. 

Reasons Why It's Healthy

Each pint has about 60 grams of carbohydrates, which is approximately 20% of your daily value.  Halo Top has the same amount of protein a protein bar, with about 24 grams per pint. This is about 40% of your recommended daily percentage of protein.

The calories, fat, saturated fat and sugar totals for Halo Top are a fraction of what's inside traditional ice cream. Stevia contains no calories, and erythritol only contains about 5 calories per serving. Halo Top is also high in fiber. However, it's still ice cream, so I'm sorry to say that it can't replace veggies and fruit. 

Reasons Why It's Controversial

egg, egg yolk
Parisa Soraya

Sadly, I had to include this section in my article because there are a couple of reasons why Halo Top is not the healthiest. A whole pint of Halo Top contains about 170 mg of cholesterol from the eggs.

Eating eggs does not raise your cholesterol levels immediately, but you shouldn't be eating more than 300 mg of cholesterol a day. So just watch how many pints you consume, and what you eat throughout the rest of the day.

coffee, beer, chocolate
Meredith Davin

The biggest concern with Halo Top is indigestion issues, but this is the case with a lot of dairy products. If you can handle dairy, there's no need to worry about this issue.

I Need An Answer. Is It Healthy?

Halo Top wins out of almost all ice cream brands in many important nutrition categories (including calories, sugars, and fat). The main concerns are those that apply to any ice cream brand that is not dairy-free, which is totally acceptable in my opinion.

It is safe to say that yes, Halo Top is healthy for an ICE CREAM. It tastes unreal, so treat yourself once in a while. But if you're health-conscious, avoid eating full pints of it...if you can.