There is a rumor that people are calling chocolate a laxative and we need answers. Has anyone ever told you to eat chocolate when constipated? If not, it's fine because openly admitting you're constipated is not something everyone can take pride in.

Chocolate has always been there for you when you needed it most. Whether you just broke up with your s/o or you had a hard week at school, chocolate is there. Chocolate has always been there through the good and bad; except if you are lactose intolerant. 

Obviously, if your body has a bad reaction to chocolate then there is a high chance that you are going to end up on the toilet anyway. So, I guess you can say that chocolate is a laxative if you don't mind a tummy ache with that. But for those who are lucky enough to not have to go through that, you will be surprised to learn that chocolate does not help you shit.

Get To The Point....

According to Livestrong, chocolate is not guaranteed to relieve constipation. Chocolate is made from a cacao plant called Theobroma cacao. The cacao husks found in the waste product of chocolate production could potentially act as a laxative. However, since the husks are not ingredients in chocolate confections, there is a low chance that chocolate can be of any assistance.

chocolate, sweet, coffee, cake, candy, cream, cocoa
Kevin Kozlik

In April 2012, Nutrition and Metabolism published an article focusing the effects of cocoa products on bowel movements. As it turns out, researchers did not notice any significant changes in the bowels. There were only small differences that did not supply enough evidence to prove that cocoa could help with constipation.

There's very little research on the subject; so it's hard to call chocolate a laxative.

cookie, chocolate, sweet, pastry, cake, goody, chocolate cookie, dairy product
Melissa Miller

On the positive side, chocolate carries certain properties that can potentially help with other health issues. Researchers have discovered that chocolate (mainly dark chocolate) can help lower your risk of high cholesterol, stroke and increase your cardiovascular health.

PSA: Chocolate cannot solve all your problems

Apologies for interrupting your regularly scheduled program, but turns out chocolate is better off being used for other things. Like to cure your bad day or to soothe your aching soul.

Here's something to try: eat fibrous foods like bread, cereal, and vegetables or any organic yogurt. My doctor recommended that walking or doing some kind of exercise can help. If you don't want to eat, my family always drunk some magnesium citrate; which can be found over-the-counter. Please follow the instructions and drink the amount needed. Give the magnesium a few hours to start working.

Although chocolate is not a laxative alternative, there are other alternatives that can help move things along; so do not lose hope.