Heads up Cyclones, finals week is nearly upon us (and of course reading Spoon articles is MUCH more productive than studying). If dead week didn’t kill you off, finals week is sure to put up a fight of its own. I’m no engineering or design major, but I’ve already found myself drowning in study guides and projects and I can’t be the only one. What’s the key to an effective study session? Food. Lots, and lots of food. But actually going to pick up that food, finding a new spot at the library and then finally eating that scrumptious pizza that took you an hour to get (and is probably cold by now) takes up precious study time. Three papers, four tests and two presentations can’t wait for that. Thankfully, your fellow Cyclone’s got you covered with a convenient delivery service called Instant Munch.

Instant Munch

Photo courtesy of giphy.com

What Is It?

Ever heard of UberEATS or Caviar food delivery services? These third party apps hire part-time curriers to go get your food and deliver it to you. Cool, right? Well apparently Ames isn’t cool enough to have an UberEATS or Caviar service, so one student at Iowa State decided to start a service of his own and he’s calling it Instant Munch. Justin Pappan, a sophomore studying agriculture business and economics, started the service with a couple of friends as a way to make some extra money.

The delivery service is run by delivers who drive around and get your food for you. We’re talking Taco Bell, Taco John’s, Little Caesars, Culvers, all the good stuff. The service currently works with 12 food chains in Ames to deliver to anyone in the Ames area.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 4.59.33 PM

How Does it Work?

Students can order online or text their order to the number posted on Instant Munch’s Twitter page. Available menu items can also be found on Instant Munch’s website. A special application installed on delivers’ phones tracks the orders, and an application that customers can download to place their orders is still under the works. Pappan mentioned that the service just started this semester, and has already gained a big following. He hopes to expand and improve the service and would even like to develop the service at other colleges.

Instant Munch

Photo by Mikinna Kerns

When Can You Order?

Instant Munch currently delivers Monday-Friday from 5-12 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday from 12 p.m.-2 a.m. They often deliver to the library, so if you’re literally living on the third floor this week (hey, you won’t be the only one) you won’t be limited to the stale sandwiches at Bookends Cafe.

The price and delivery time of the service varies depending on the order. Most orders are about $3 or $4 and take around 20 minutes to be delivered. Pappan said that number is likely to decrease, however, as the service works with food partners to offer discounted delivery prices.

Instant Munch

Photo by Mikinna Kerns

Sorry Cyclones, “I’m hungry” is no longer a valid excuse to leave the library, but at least you have motivational study foods to get you through the week. And when you turn in your last test and celebrate a little too hard, Instant Munch will be there for you then, too.

Instant Munch

Photo courtesy of giphy.com