“Indulgent” is defined by Merriam-Webster as “done or enjoyed as a special treat or pleasure,” but I’ve always viewed it as ignoring all the rules and following your heart—or stomach, as the case may be. For me, that means mixing sweet and savory and marrying flavors people don’t expect. Brie and chocolate, for example, is one of my personal favorite indulgent combinations. It also means you don’t need to have a special reason for indulging! 

However, if you’re really searching for a reason, summer's approach seems good enough to me. While healthy food can be comforting, and is especially good for keeping your mind sharp, sometimes you just need to sit down and savor rich flavors while ignoring your upcoming statistics final. Just for you, I've compiled a list of the most indulgent recipes I could find on Spoon—some sweet, some savory, some both. 

1. Baked Brie

dough, sweet, cheese, dairy product, bread, pastry
Emily Chandel

Starting off with a bang, this baked Brie recipe checks off both your sweet and savory desires. It only takes 35 minutes to make and includes Brie, Craisins, honey, and puff pastry for a mouth-watering treat.  

2. Mac & Cheese Cupcakes

sweet, cream
Eden Yung

Staying on the cheese train (my favorite train), this mac and cheese recipe serves up a new way to enjoy cheesy goodness. It calls for shredded cheese and macaroni noodles, but in a pinch Kraft would work as well. Heaven knows my dorm room is stocked with those fluorescent orange and blue boxes. 

3. Nutella-Stuffed Hot Chocolate French Toast

sauce, waffle, goody, cake, dairy product, sweet, sundae, ice, chocolate, cream
Ethan Cappello

If you've been reading along and despairing because chocolate hasn't made an appearance yet, don't worry— here is an overload. This French toast recipe calls for three forms of chocolate (hot cocoa, Nutella, chocolate chips), as well as whipped cream and marshmallows. This is in addition to challah bread. What more could you want?

4. Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Brownie French Toast

cake, chocolate
Emma Lally

If you just answered "peanut butter" to my last question, this decadent French toast recipe is for you. With a chocolate brownie exterior and a maple syrup and peanut butter interior, this recipe is nothing if not indulgent. 

5. Ice Cream Cone Shots

goody, sweet, ice, cake, candy, chocolate, cream, sprinkles
Danielle Weinstein

If you answered booze instead of peanut butter, this shots recipe is here to fulfill your wish. For a perfect nod to childhood treats with an adult twist, look no further. These adorable edible shot glasses are sprinkle-encrusted and filled with ice cream and the adult beverage of your choice. 

6. Disney's Dole Whip

yogurt, sorbet, dairy, dairy product, ice, milk, sweet, cream
Kristine Mahan

Some people have been reading through this article and despairing because they are dairy-free. To you I say: despair no longer. This homemade Dole Whip is a recipe that only includes two ingredients, neither of which contain dairy. With only two minutes, frozen pineapple, and coconut milk, you can transport yourself to Disney World. 

7. More Dairy-Free Indulgences

sorbet, strawberry, chocolate, ice, sweet, cream
Lindsay DeMunno

There are other options for those avoiding cows' milk, including sorbet, dairy-free brownie mixes, and Oreos. Regardless of food restrictions, there is almost always a recipe available when you want to indulge. 

8. Breakfast-Stuffed Donut

cake, sweet, dairy product, pastry, bread
Emily Gordon

For breakfast lovers, this donut recipe is a dream come true. It lets you avoid the choice between a sweet and savory breakfast by stuffing it all together. Imagine biting into a donut and having cheesy bacon-y goodness dripping out. 

9. Pretzel Pizza Mozzarella Sticks

vegetable, bread, meat
Emma Lally

Mozzarella and marinara sauce is an already recognized power couple. However, they're only made better by the addition of crescent rolls, pepperoni, and sea salt. These all combine in these mozzarella sticks for a melt-in-your-mouth moment of perfection.

10. Inside Out Grilled Cheese

cheese, pie, sweet, pastry, cake, meat
Kylie Kinder

In a truly indulgent move, this grilled cheese recipe calls for cheese on the inside and outside of your grilled cheese sandwich. It forms a crispy shell as well as a gooey interior, so you can check off everything on your texture checklist. 

11. Grilled Mac & Cheese

crust, sweet, bread, cake, grilled cheese sandwich, cheese, pastry
Jayna Goldstein

This grilled mac and cheese recipe throws out the idea that you simply have to have cheese in your grilled cheese and opens the door to one of my favorites: noodles. With this dynamic duo encased by another power player, bread, there's no way you can go wrong. 

12. Dark Chocolate Strawberry Brie Grilled Cheese

peanut, peanut butter, cheese, sandwich, butter, bacon
Lucy Rubin

This grilled cheese recipe blows open the rules about grilled cheese even further. It takes my favorite soft cheese, Brie, and adds chocolate and strawberries for a truly indulgent treat. Eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert— it is truly versatile. 

All of these indulgent recipes provide a way to engage your senses in a decadent event, filled with your favorite tastes. Keep in mind, however, that if you do indulge, you do so happily and purposefully. If you feel you cannot stop bingeing, contact the National Eating Disorders Association for more resources.