Oscar season is the best time of year for movie buffs. There is no shortage of good movies to see in the theater with a bucket of popcorn, a crisp soda and your favorite candy. Pairing a candy with a movie is as difficult for newbies as pairing wine with cheese, but don’t worry we’ve prepped a list of the perfect candies to chow down on while you enjoy this year’s best picture nominees.

The Revenant – Gummy Bears

oscar nominees

There’s no better way to get back at the bear that attacked poor Leo than to eat candy shaped like him. Bonus points if you growl or yell mean things at the gummies – that’ll show them.

oscar nominees

Photo by Jaryl Cabuco

The Big Short – Swedish Fish

oscar nominees

Gif courtesy of purepeople.com

Foodies everywhere rejoiced when Anthony Bourdain appeared on screen to explain the concept of CDO. He uses fish to explain that you can repackage leftovers for sale by giving those “leftovers” a fresh image. For example, he sometimes sells old fish by making fish stew, now that old fish is something entirely new.

Since you probably don’t want to eat old fish while you watch this movie, Swedish fish will do just fine.

oscar nominees

Photo courtesy of Slowkingman

Brooklyn – Cadbury Chocolate

oscar nominees

In Brooklyn, the protagonist Eilis misses her home country of Ireland fiercely. Pay tribute to Eilis’s Irish roots with a Cadbury bar (or two). It helps that candy from the UK is better than American candy anyway.

oscar nominees

Photo by Jared Sebby

Mad Max: Fury Road – Warheads

oscar nominees

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Mad Max is a violent movie, to say the least. Warheads are so sour that they are basically like a mini war on your tongue, so you’ll understand exactly how the characters feel. Also water is a valuable resource in the film and sour candies actually make you less thirsty because the sourness makes you salivate more, so you’ll save some precious water.

oscar nominees

Photo by Maya Detwiller

Bridge of Spies – Skittles Vodka

oscar nominees

A film about Russian spies is the perfect opportunity to channel your inner Russian – with vodka, of course. Follow this easy recipe to create your own skittles infused vodka.

oscar nominees

Photo by Sarah Strong

The Martian – Freeze-Dried Berries

oscar nominees

Gif courtesy of dailyseni.com.my

Okay, okay, I know fruit isn’t technically candy, but since astronauts don’t actually eat astronaut ice cream I had to make this compromise. In The Martian, Matt Damon’s character has to figure out a way to survive for four years using only a months worth of astronaut food such as these berries.

oscar nominees

Photo courtesy of Savant-Fou

Spotlight – Whoppers

oscar nominees

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Spotlight is about reporters at the Boston Globe who reveal that the catholic church has been covering up sexual abuse. The story is, well, a whopper. Also, this movie is so intense that you’ll want a candy you can mindlessly pop into your mouth while you’re stressed.

oscar nominees

Photo by Emma Glubiak

Room – Rock Candy

oscar nominees

Photo courtesy of lylesmoviefiles.com

In this haunting film, the character Ma (played by Brie Larson) sings the traditional folk song “Big Rock Candy Mountain” to her son. It’s one of the many ways that she shows her strength and resilience though she has been held captive for years.

oscar nominees

Photo courtesy of Andreas Praefcke