Have you ever worked at a restaurant, but didn’t have the best experience?  Or if you haven’t worked at a restaurant, have you heard about all the negative things that come with working at a restaurant?  I worked at a local restaurant called, Valentino’s, my senior year of high school.  It definitely had its ups and downs, but I learned a lot from the experience.  I’m here to give you some tips for how to enjoy your experience while working at a restaurant.

1. Try everything on the menu

Restaurant

You have a discount off of the food, so why not be adventurous?  You’ll be able to tell the customers what to get, you’ll turn into a food connoisseur, and you’ll be able to critique the food at the restaurant you work at.  Being adventurous when it comes to food is never a bad thing and working at a restaurant is a great opportunity to try new food.

2. Be friendly and talkative when taking deliveries

Restaurant

Ask the customer how his or her day is going or if they sound like an adult, ask them if they have children.  Starting a conversation with them will make the atmosphere more comfortable and they won’t be as frustrated if you get their order wrong.  Befriend the customers and everyone will be happy.

3. Befriend your coworkers

Restaurant

Some days are better than others in the workplace.  However, if you enjoy working with your coworkers, the time goes by so much faster.  Crack jokes when there aren’t any customers there, or just burst out in song and see if any of your coworkers join in.  If you’re friends with your coworkers, you’ll look forward to going to work everyday.

4. Play music while you’re cleaning the dishes

Restaurant

Cleaning the dishes can be monotonous and boring, but what if you did something to spice this up?  If you play music while you clean the dishes, it will make it go by faster and you’ll be more relaxed while doing it — it might even make it fun.

5. Offer to help with the cooking if you’re not a primary chef

Restaurant

Learning how to cook is a great life skill to have.  You’ll be exposed to different types of food and the chef can teach you how to make the basic things that you might not know how to make like a Cuban Style Panini  or Maple-Smoked Pork Chops  Plus, if you show your boss that you know how to cook, maybe you’ll get a promotion!