Union College SpoonUers put on a make-your-own-toast-creation bar, and it was sick.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Julia Portnoff

We participated in the MEDLIFE Healthy Harvest Festival, held in Wold Atrium on November 11th from 5-7 PM. There were tables from different clubs around our campus promoting ideas about community, food security, sustainable food production, and the importance of eating healthy and local produce (take that freshman 15, I’m lookin’ at you). Anyone that was there can tell you that the SpoonU stand was killing it.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Julia Portnoff

Other clubs at the festival were rockin’ the same healthy theme as us (obviously). There were stands with make-your-own trail mix, fresh butternut squash soup, and loads more.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Amy Corman

Other clubs at the festival were rockin’ the same healthy theme as us (obviously). There were stands with make-your-own trail mix, fresh butternut squash soup, and loads more. Empty Bowls, an organization dedicated to raise money and awareness in the fight to end hunger, was showing their Healthy Harvest spirit with fresh grown veggies, popcorn, and of course, their staple, pottery bowls.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Amy Corman

This stand (right next to Spoon’s table I might add…) had a live Honeybee house (minus the bees), collecting oodles of fresh honey right then and there. I was thrilled to find out I was not next to a cage full of bees, but when we saw the honey? Talk about local and fresh.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Amy Corman

Ozone house was awesome, as per usual. They had incredible butternut squash soup, vegetable stew and homemade, fresh lemonade (as a lemonade obsessed girl, I can attest to how good this stuff was).

Other tables at the festival included make your own trail-mix with craisins, nuts, sunflower seeds, and mini chocolate chips. Who knew throwing a ton of healthy stuff into a bag and shaking it all up could make the perfect snack? (my bag turned out to be mostly chocolate chips, but it still counts as healthy… they’re mini, right?)

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Julia Portnoff

Here at Spoon, we’re all about the trendiest, yummiest foods around. And why not promote that? Our table was heaped high with fresh multi-grain breads, and all the toppings your little heart could desire: apples, tomatos, bananas, pesto, hummus, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin cookie butter, arugula, and of course, avocado, avocado, and MORE AVOCADO (to cure the case of avo-withdrawal I know I’ve been feeling these past three months on campus). Honestly, you name it and I’m sure we could tell you that we were chopping it up and giving it out to the hungry students of Union.

Healthy Harvest Festival

Photo by Julia Portnoff

Miss your chance to taste some of our yummy toast this time? Next month Spoon will be putting on another event (stay tuned), so don’t miss your chance and come stop by!