Parents’ Weekend is a perfect time to catch up with your family, and show them what you love about Duke – but it’s an even better opportunity to get off campus and eat some of Durham’s truly amazing food. Explore beyond the typical Duke sphere of Mad Hatter’s, Chipotle, and Sushi Love with some of the restaurants below. Your parents will be impressed you had it together enough to get recommendations of where to eat, and your palate will thank you for the break from Saladelia and Marketplace.

Pompieri Pizza

parents

Photo by Emily Waples

Durham has a lot of great pizza, but Pompieri is a memorable experience – you get to cut your own pizza with scissors. Show off Durham’s slightly eccentric side by bringing your parents here.

Foster’s

For a taste of Southern charm that you won’t find everywhere in Durham, go to Foster’s for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This country store/café does a delicious breakfast, and if it’s nice weather, you can even sit outside. No reservations necessary.

Monuts

parents

Photo by Emily Waples

What would a food article about Duke be without a mention of Monuts? A Duke and Durham classic, Monuts serves up creative specials along with their staple donuts and breakfast sandwiches. While you may have to wait in a bit of a line, it’s totally worth it.

Piedmont

Small photoshoot for the new www.piedmontrestaurant.com #comingsoon #tomatoes

A photo posted by Piedmont Restaurant (@piedmontrestaurant) on

Piedmont is a quintessentially Durham restaurant – locally sourced foods and creative combinations that still somehow feel familiar and homey. They take farm-to-table to a whole new delicious level.

Local 22

A personal favorite of mine, Local 22 sticks true to its name, highlighting local ingredients on its menu. Don’t leave without getting an order of hush puppies or a delicious dessert.

The Pit

Durham has a lot of barbecue options, but the Pit is great for Parent’s Weekend because you can order family-style, making it feel like you’re at the family dinner table. It’s more upscale than most barbecue places, so the dinner will be both special and delicious.

Nana’s

Jordan's farewell dinner ? #imsodramatic #durham

A photo posted by Danielle Olcott (@dmo2988) on

The ultimate in Durham fancy food for Duke students, Nana’s is an elegant dining experience. Reservations fill up fast for big Duke weekends, so you might want to book far in advance.