Spring has finally arrived, and with it comes the heat, sunshine, and more screams for ice cream. Curious about the frozen yogurt and ice cream places near campus? Here's what they have to offer.

Yogurtland

peanut butter
Tiffany Tran

Located across from Sproul Plaza, Yogurtland is the perfect place to get a quick fix of creamy, frozen yogurt goodness. The self-serve option gives customers the option to have as many or as few flavors as they want. Flavors vary daily, so this place is easily a hit or miss. Luckily, I went on a day when Yogurtland had Thin Mint and Peanut Butter, which are both relatively rich in flavor. The taste is average, but the location is convenient. 

dairy product, nut, milk, sweet
Tiffany Tran

One advantage is the wide variety of toppings, ranging from fresh strawberries and popping boba to cookie crumbles and gummy bears. If you love toppings, feel free to go crazy in Yogurtland. 

Rating: 3/5

Yogurt Park

coffee, milk, candy, sweet, cream, chocolate
Tiffany Tran

This location is both a blessing and a curse for residents of Unit 3, as it’s a daily temptation right across the street. Although it’s not a chain like Yogurtland, it has been a Berkeley classic for nearly 40 years. Its minis, which are about 4 to 6 ounces, are more than enough to to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. Even though flavors change daily, all of the flavors are very strong and decadent.

The froyo has a very smooth texture, but is best paired with its famous cookie dough. Not only are toppings spread generously on top of the yogurt, they’re also stashed in the middle of the dessert as well.

Rating: 4.5/5

John’s Ice Cream

dairy product, wafer, sweet, chocolate, ice, cream
Tiffany Tran

This ice cream place is a little bit of a walk from campus, as it's located in Downtown Berkeley. John’s Ice Cream has a large variety of flavors, ranging from Coconut Pineapple to Ube. Its Mocha Almond Fudge is one of its most popular flavors, which I got in a relatively small scoop. While it wasn’t out of this world, it wasn’t disappointing, either.

Here's disappointing news: increasing prices. A scoop of ice cream used to sell for $1.00, which was recently raised to $1.25, and now $1.50. 

Rating: 2.5/5

Almare Gelato Italiano

cake, chocolate
Tiffany Tran

About a block from John’s Ice Cream, Almare Gelato Italiano's gelato is definitely the most expensive out of all of the options, but also the highest quality. It gives customers a bite of Italy through the use of fresh ingredients, milk, cream, and sugars. It offers flavors unlike any of the other places, including Rose, Passion Fruit, and Toasted Almond and Carmelized Figs.

Rating: 4.5/5  

Final Verdict:

In Berkeley, both froyo and ice cream are easily accessible – it just depends on what you're looking for. If you’re looking for something convenient, cheap, basic, and satisfying, frozen yogurt is the way to go. However, if you’re feeling more adventurous and bougie, ice cream has the means to satisfy your cravings in a more expensive yet equally gratifying way.