In the summertime, you use your voice a lot. You have more time to stay up all night talking, visit amusement parks or sing in the shower. That’s why it’s important to make sure you take good care of your vocal chords during these warm, school-free months. These ten foods and drinks come highly recommended by vocal trainers, singers and professional speakers.

DO EAT/DRINK: 

1. Water

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Staying hydrated is huge, so drink lots and lots of room-temperature water. It keeps your throat and vocal chords in tip-top shape. Avoid ice water, if you can.

Drinking game: take a drink of water every time you read “drink” or “hydrated” in this article. 

2. Toasted bread or non-salted crackers

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Have you ever gotten a bit of dry bread or graham cracker stuck in your throat? It doesn’t feel too good, but it does cause your mouth to create a lot of extra moisture to unstick the crumbs. This can continue for long after your meal, keeping your voice naturally hydrated.

3. Cantaloupe

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Don’t let the pastel color and crisp crunch fool you. Cantaloupes are about 90% water. Try popping some chunks of cantaloupe (or other melons) into a glass of water for added flavor and hydration.

4. Apple juice

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

A glass with half apple juice and half water will keep you hydrated throughout a long speech or your favorite karaoke song. If apple juice isn’t your thing, eat a raw green apple or drink some fresh veggie juice instead.

5. Warm herbal tea

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

While caffeine does nothing good for your voice, decaf tea is wonderful for it. Herbal teas that are naturally decaffeinated work like a little sauna in your throat to get your vocal chords all comfortable and warm. Add a little honey, and your voice will thank you.

DO NOT EAT/DRINK: 

1. Milk

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Drinking milk increases mucus in the back of your nose and throat, so to avoid sounding like Chewbacca, go easy on the milk intake.

2. Ice cream

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Eating ice cream can also make your vocal chords feel gunky because of the high levels of lactose and sugar. If you’re dying for some sugar, try sucking on a hard candy instead of devouring a bowl of mint chip.

3. Bacon

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Sorry to all those bacon lovers out there, but bacon just isn’t good for your voice. Its high salt content is too drying. If you’re dying for some bacon before a big speech or performance, try the lower salt varieties.

4. Citrus fruits

voice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

There’s nothing as refreshing as a fresh orange in the summer. However, citrus fruits (and citrus fruit juices) are very drying, so occasionally take a pass on the OJ for your voice’s sake.

5. Alcohol

voice

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Maybe you think you sound better after alcohol, but chances are you don’t. Not only is alcohol drying, but if you drink too much of it, you can lose control of your vocal chords. If you’re singing or speaking loudly, this can be especially dangerous. To avoid damaging your voice and the ears of those around you, exercise caution.

The next time you have to sing or speak or scream, be mindful about what foods and drinks you pack in your bag. 

Inspired by many different how to keep your voice happy blogs, including this one and this one.

Also, a big thanks to singing instructor, Heidi Jacobs, for her tips!