Ever wondered where your insane addiction to food comes from? Do you eat to live or live to eat? Are three meals a day never enough for you? Maybe you and food have more in common than you originally thought. No, we’re not talking about the number of Chips Ahoy you’ve got stocked in your cupboard or the endless supply of cookie butter from Trader Joe’s you dream of having. We’re talking about how you may have been blessed (or cursed) from birth with a name that hints to something edible. There are plenty of names that have a hidden meaning behind them, see if yours is one of them.

Brie

name

Photo by Isabelle Chu

Okay, so maybe your name is Bree or Bri for Brianna but with those of you whose names are Brie—you’re a cheesy one. Literally. You probably know of Cheddar or Pepper Jack but if you’ve never heard of Brie cheese, you might want to give it a try. It’s creamy and textured and can be added onto your cheese platter for more variety or even substituted into your sandwich as a new spin on a classic bite. You can’t go wrong, after all, you are the ‘Queen of Cheese.’

Colby

It’s a college in Maine and it could be your name too—but it’s another cheese you should think about trying. First invented in 1874, it also has a nickname: the longhorn. So if you ever feel like giving yourself a(n) (obnoxiously) cool nickname, this might be it.

Charlotte

Oh, Charlotte. Forget Charlie or Lottie, you were and are still the as sweet as can be. Before you think, ‘what?’ your name is actually a type of dessert. That’s right, sugar is in your blood. Also known as the ice-box cake, your name is made from sponge cake and filled with sweet sensations ranging from fruit puree to custard. As if that’s not enough, a charlotte (ruse) cake could also mean a French chocolate cake made with lady fingers. Click here for the recipe.

Lorraine

Do you like quiche, Lorraine? Because you should—your name is literally attached to it. Quiche lorraine is definitely one of the more popular variants of quiche. Originally, you came from the rural of France but in today’s world, you’re seen as modern and still ever as popular.

Mirabelle

name

Photo by Isabelle Chu

Although this name may not be as common as others in this list, your food is pretty much found in all grocery stores. You’re a plum! But you’re not a regular plum, oh no, you’re classically yellow and small and originally grown in France. You’re incredibly sweet and can be eaten fresh or cooked.

Jordan

name

Photo by Isabelle Chu

It doesn’t matter if you’re a guy or a girl–you’re also an almond. Bite-sized and colorful, your name is closer to a candy than it is to a nut. Jordan almonds are typically used as wedding favors; they represent everything from love and happiness to wealth. No wonder you’re such a good luck charm!

Virginia

You are a prized possession. Prized for your sweetness that is; virginia hams are cut from razorback hogs and are usually served on certain holidays and as a breakfast meat. The ham is cured rather than cooked, and is delicious enough to satisfy your carnivorous cravings. Try out this recipe over the holidays if you’re up to it. Beware of the leftovers though, it serves a large party!

Chuck

name

Photo by Isabelle Chu

Not to be confused with your Converses, Chuck is also a type of steak usually containing parts of the shoulder bones often known as a “7-bone steak.” Next time you go to the meat section of your local grocery store, ask them from bits of you. And who wouldn’t want a meaty, muscly piece of…steak.

Elliot

Another southern charmer on our list, an Elliot is actually a type of blueberry. Native in the southeast region of the states, they’e easy to pick and are known to be big and flavorful. Here’s a list of 10 recipes you can try making with Elliot blueberries.

Angelica

name

Photo by Isabelle Chu

Believe us when we say there’s more than one of you. An Angelica is a type of herb that has about 60 known species. Although the root, seed and fruit are used to make medicine for people with heartburn or insomnia, they can also be eaten (of course.) More specifically, it can be thrown into a drink too; the crushed root of the ‘herb of angels’ can be made into tea using one teaspoonful per cup.

Devon

Last but not least, we have Devon. And how fitting as you should always save room for dessert. Devon(shire) cream is produced commercially in the English countryside. They are thick, rich and used to eat with scones. Check out this guide on how to do afternoon tea like the British and substitute a bit of yourself into the equation.

Hungry for more?

We’ve given you a few ideas on some history behind your name. Maybe now you’ll have a vague idea where your cravings come from. If you’re curious about your own name that’s not been published or just want to learn a bit more about what’s in a name, click on this link for a full list.