From breakfast to an after dinner treat, coffee is the perfect way to start and end your day.  Its rich, complex flavor can wake you up on a groggy morning or calm your senses just before bedtime.  Eating a tasty snack with hot cup of coffee can satisfy even the most voracious craving.  In order to get the most out of your cup of joe, however, you must know the best food and coffee options to pair.   Follow these simple combo guidelines to make the most of your coffee morning jolt, afternoon pick-up or dessert.

Photo by Celeste Gilyard

Scones, Biscotti, Muffins: Costa Rican, Brazilian and Mexican brews taste the best with these types of baked goods.  Dipping a biscotti or scone into a cup of coffee from the southern hemisphere makes every day feel sunny and warm.

Photo by Celeste Gilyard

Bagels, Croissants, and other Breads:  This is the most versatile food group for coffee-pairing.  You can virtually drink any type of coffee drink with one of these options.  If you like flavored espresso drinks like Caffé Mochas and Vanilla Lattes, savory carbs like these are the way to go.  You don’t want to distract from the richness of your drink with some other fruit or chocolate flavor.

Photo by Celeste Gilyard

Donuts, Cinnamon Buns, Coffee Cakes:  Colombian and Guatemalan coffees are a natural choice to pair with cinnamon buns because of their chocolate and cinnamon undertones. These roasts also complement chocolate and cinnamon flavored muffins and donuts. The Hawaiian Kona blend is another great option to pair with a coffee cake since it’s infused with sweet cinnamon spices that help bring out the cake’s rich flavor.

Photo by Denise Lu

Fruits, Fruit Tarts, Danishes:  Lightly roasted coffees taste the best when paired with fresh fruits, but dark roasts taste especially delicious when paired with tarts and danishes.  Steer clear of most flavored coffees and espresso drinks if you are going to be pairing with something sweet and fruity; the abundance of potent flavors will shock your palate.