The phrase “The best things in life are free” really couldn’t be truer than when applied to food. Last year I discovered a booth on our campus’s Quad that was giving away free cupcakes (yes, you read that correctly—free cupcakes) and I deemed that day as “the best day of my entire life.” This is how much I love free food. When I heard about the new Hooked app, I thought it sounded too good to be true. A new app that offers “buy one, get one” deals on Orange Leaf fro yo? Umm sign me up immediately.

Once the app installs (which I assume is right now because you’re a brilliant human and just downloaded it), you can choose to sign in with your e-mail or through Facebook. Though this step seems really insignificant and you’re probably wondering why I’m even talking about it, I have to say that signing in with your e-mail allows Hooked to send you updates about awesome “deals of the day,” which you obvi want. The choice is yours.

app

Photo by Tori Baier

After you sign in, you’re all set. Hooked finds local restaurants on campus and hooks you up (eh?) with the best deals in town. From authentic Chinese restaurants to Dunkin Donuts, Hooked offers coupons for a huge array of eateries. Once you find the discount you want, simply go to that restaurant, click on the deal, and show the app at the register right before you pay. The trick to this is that you have to actually be in the restaurant to utilize discounts, so all you lazy college kids have to get off your butts to save money. Trust me, it’s totally worth putting on pants and leaving your house to get free fries at your local burger joint.

app

Photo by Molly Doroba

The other small catch with this app is that the deals only last for a specific amount of time. Each deal shows a tiny countdown in the corner that lets you know how much time you have left to score big, so if there’s ever a time to impulsively “buy two pieces of pizza and get one free,” it’s now. Your waistline might not thank you, but your wallet sure will.

app

Photo by Molly Doroba

Hook, line and sink…your teeth into some half-off hot wings. Unfortunately the only other thing is that it isn’t on many campuses yet—another reason you wish you were an Illini like us, I guess. Happy Hooking, friends (you know what I mean)!

Welcome yourself into the 21st Century by checking out these other awesome food apps: