I used to struggle in labelling myself because many people I ran into had no clue what "pescatarian" meant. When I mentioned I was a vegetarian who ate fish, I would be corrected and informed that is a pescatarian. Simply saying "vegetarian" meant that I would lose out in trying a new fish recipe if I were to eat out, so that didn't solve my problem either. 

Now that it's 2017, we've become extremely knowledgable about all sorts of diets. But with the recent hype of adopting plant-based vegan diets, I do feel that other options, namely pescatarian, are left in the dark too often.

This isn't an article to convince you to go pescatarian, or to write up on the perks of doing so, but I feel that fish, being a wholesome and nutritious source for everyone, deserves some extra recognition. More so, these fish recipes are ones to be worthy of everyone's cookbooks, regardless of diet. Bon appétit!  

1. Grapefruit Shrimp Salad

salad, rice, pepper, vegetable
Christin Urso

Just when you thought it couldn't get better than this, the grapefruit shrimp salad is actually paired with a recipe for grapefruit shrimp tacos. Now, that's what I'm taco-ing about. 

2. Pesto Salmon Spaghetti

grilled salmon, lemon, salmon
Jessica Yu

This pesto-salmon is simple enough to make in your dorm room, but looks and tastes like it was made at a restaurant.

3. Miso Cod 

fish, sauce, vegetable, salad, lettuce
Amanda Wahlstedt

This black miso cod is proof that you don't need to let the size of your wallet define the size of your palate. 

4. Tuna and Zucchini Rice Bowl

vegetable, salad
Susanna Mostaghim

Almost like a burrito bowl, but with seafood. Simple, yet filling, this tuna and zucchini rice bowl could be your go-to for between classes and workouts, or a quick meal at home.

5. Seafood Spaghetti di Nero 

fish, spaghetti, sauce, vegetable, squid, pasta, seafood
Katie Huang

Highly underrated in my opinion, Spaghetti di Nero should be made and tasted by everyone at least once in their lives. 

6. Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw 

fish, chicken, lettuce, seafood, salad, vegetable
Julian Pang

If you bring out this fish taco recipe to a potluck or group dinner, I don't think you'll have any leftovers. 

7. Salmon Cakes with Avocado Dip

vegetable, crab, potato, parsley, fish, salmon
Olivia Chadwick

The light taste of salmon, the crunch of the breadcrumbs, and the creaminess from the avocado—these salmon cakes have got it all. 

8. Avocado Salmon Poke Appetizers

fish, rice, seafood, vegetable
Evan Wu

Everything tastes better in an avocado boat, right? These avocado salmon poke appetizers sure do. 

9. Spring Crab Salad

chicken, spinach, avocado, salad
Abbie Ginis

Despite the name, I won't be waiting until spring to make this crab salad

10. Teriyaki Tuna Cakes

crab cakes, meat, sweet, cake
Lily Tang

These teriyaki tuna cakes prove that you don't need expensive ingredients to create restaurant-worthy meals.  

11. Sweet Potato Shrimp Boats

squash, chicken
Lauren D'Amore

The next best thing to avocado boats are these sweet potato shrimp boats

12. Sriracha Shrimp 

curry, beef, rice, chicken curry, sauce, pork, vegetable, meat, chicken
Natsuko Mazany

Regardless of how much it burns, Sriracha shrimp is something you probably won't get enough of. 

13. Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice

salsa, tomato, avocado, guacamole
Lindsay Brandes
If you're feeling a bit of FOMO like I am for not tasting this yet, or if your local sushi restaurant doesn't serve it, then it's time to bring the spicy tuna on crispy rice to your home. 

14. Spicy Tuna Crunch Poke Bowl 

sauce, curry, tofu, teriyaki, butter, peanut butter, rice, chicken, peanut
Alex Kaneshiro

I can never get enough of spicy tuna, so I would be making this spicy poke bowl over the original one almost any day. 

15. Ritz-Crusted Tilapia

sweet, chicken, meat
Celeste Gilyard

I'd pair this Ritz-crusted tilapia with some sweet potato fries and you've got yourself an alternative take on fish n' chips—because 2017, y'all. 

16. Cheesy Crab and Shrimp Quesedillas 

chicken quesadilla, chicken, meat, bread, vegetable, tomato, cheese
Wendy Zhou

A whole 'lotta fish and a whole 'lotta cheese. These cheesy seafood quesadillas are either your go-to for late-night munchies or your hangover cure. Or both. 

17. Shrimp Scampi with Zoodles 

Maddie Cole

If you haven't already given the alternative pasta trend a go, then start by getting your zoodle on with this classic shrimp scampi.  

We're in a time where we are defining ourselves not based on what we eat, but mainly what we don't eat. It's great to see people reducing their meat consumption for both health and environmental reasons, but I also believe that having some leeway here and there is totally acceptable. At least when it comes to cooking. 

As a pescatarian, I've cooked steak (as part of a class assignment) but it sort of feels satisfying to know I can cook a piece of meat. I believe the same goes with fish. In my books, making some killer fish tacos, or serving something as bold as tuna on crispy rice is definitely a success in the kitchen.