I love farmers' markets--the live music, the samples, the freshly cut flowers, the local produce, the farmers. The farmers' market is a friendly place to be, but for others it might seem like an exclusive food source for the elite. I used to think that too. Shocker, no?

The stigma that farmers' markets are for the upper class is slowly withering away. Farmers' markets have been increasingly teaming up with food stamp programs like SNAP, EBT, and WIC, making them more accessible to college students, families, women, children, and seniors facing food insecurity. 

Farmers' markets all over the country are introducing these types of programs and receiving funding to increase fresh and locally grown food accessibility for those who otherwise have limited access. There is a growing amount of websites that help locate a nearest farmers market  that accepts food stamps. Farmers' markets are trying to reach out to all members of the neighborhood and make it well known that the market is an inclusive place to shop for groceries, meet farmers, and truly be a member of the community. Many farmers' markets are even reaching out to larger audiences through social media.

Social media has been a growing platform for many farmers' markets. Platforms like Instagram are doing what they are meant to do by helping farmers' markets reach larger audiences.

The ability to eat fresh, local food should not be determined by one's income or social economic status. Farmers' markets have acknowledged this right and have been making natural foods more accessible for all incomes. By going to your local farmers market this week you will be supporting your local economy, reducing your ecological footprint and improving the quality of your ingredients all while enjoying the company of your neighbors.