Cue family gatherings, parades, fireworks and screaming children. Make yourself stand out during the sensory-overloaded 4th of July with these seriously creative appetizers, entrées, side dishes, desserts and cocktails.

Appetizers

American Flag Fruit Skewers

4th of july

Photo by Mira Nguyen

Start the day with a super easy crowd-pleaser made from only three ingredients.

Star-Shaped Pigs in a Blanket

4th of july

Photo by Mira Nguyen

Keep your dogs toasty in a cozy puff pastry blanket.

Tomato, Basil Mozzarella Salad

4th of july

Photo courtesy of sweetsavorylife.com

One blue dish, some red tomatoes and a little white mozzarella later, and you’re low-key festive.

Entrées

Bacon Flag Pizza

4th of july

Photo courtesy of Moderate Indulgence

This pizza brings all the boys to the yard. Even after I have been vegetarian for five years, my mouth waters for this bacon-topped-cheese-topped-bread.

Red, White and Blue Lasagna

4th of july

Photo courtesy of sheknows.com

If one Italian starch with tomato-based sauce and cheese in the shape of a flag doesn’t suit you, try this one.

Burgers

4th of july

Photo courtesy of supergoldenbakes.com

Of course there’s always the traditional route of burgers from the grill. This recipe’s a little more involved and includes a made-from-scratch brioche bun.

Sides

Grilled Corn on the Cob

4th of july

Photo courtesy of ezrapoundcake.com

Give a screaming child a cob of corn, and they’ll shut up for at least 10 min.**

Red, White and Blue Potato Salad

4th of july

Photo courtesy of prouditaliancook.com

There is no such thing as too much potato in a dish.

Freedom Fries

4th of july

Photo courtesy of theminimalistbaker.com

Fries are most definitely from a place of European origin (Belgium or France, still debated today), but Americans can and should celebrate our adoption of the good fried stuff this July 4th.

Desserts

Blue and White-Dipped Strawberries

4th of july

Photo by Mira Nguyen

All right, now we’re talking. An easy three-ingredient recipe, but this one’s got chocolate.

Patriotic Oreo Pops

4th of july

Photo by Mira Nguyen

Throw some of the leftover white chocolate and sprinkles from the strawberries on milk’s favorite cookie, and you have yourself an instant picnic hit.

4th of July Spiral Cookies

4th of july

Photo courtesy of thatovenfeelin.com

Your parents will flash back to the ’70s after you give them these trippy homemade sugar cookies.*

Red, White and Blue Layered Flag Cake

4th of july

Photo courtesy of the Blahnik Baker

Dazzle the neighborhood with this flag-in-a-cake at the annual bake-off, and you’ll finally destroy the reigning champ, Gloria.

Red, White and Blue Cake Balls

4th of july

Photo by Megan Prendergast

If you don’t have the time or number of cake pans necessary to make three types of different colored cakes, these red velvet cake balls might be a more manageable option.

No-Bake America Cheesecake

4th of july

Photo by Vedika Luthra

This cheesecake is a great option for cheese of the cream variety this Independence Day.

4th of July Cheesecake Ice Cream Cones

4th of july

Photo courtesy of the First Year Blog

But if you want to shove cheesecake into another sweet, try this all-dessert-inclusive recipe.

Cocktails

Firecracker Berry Margarita Floats

GIF courtesy of Half Baked Harvest

But let’s be honest: the most integral part of the day is the alcohol. If you’re craving ice cream but also would prefer to be drunk, multitask with this strawberry and blueberry margarita float. Don’t be shy about adding vodka. Sandra Lee from the Food Network advises two shots.

4th of July Patriotic Punch

4th of july

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

If your grandpa catches you with these guys in hand, he’ll pause his racist tirade long enough to salute your patriotism.**

Red, White and Blue Soda

4th of july

Photo by Mira Nguyen

For a colorful twist on your otherwise clear problem with alcohol, add vibrant ice cubes made from Kool-Aid.

American Flag Jell-O Shots

4th of july

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

Neither a solid nor a liquid, this Jell-O is in a delicious buzz wrapped up in an identity crisis. No better way to be an American than with sugar and alcohol, eh? Have a happy and safe holiday, y’all.

*Please do not drug your parents.

**No guarantees.