Hopefully Part 1 didn’t leave you too egg-sausted, because here are a few more lessons that can be learned about eggs and how to prepare them.

eggs

Photo by Sherry Xiao (Spoon University – Washington University in St. Louis)

Scrambled
Once you know how to cook these, you will have your staple. Whisk the egg yolks and the egg whites together until you cannot differentiate them. At a low temperature, heat the pan you will be using to cook the eggs. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and wait until they begin to solidify and settle before stirring them with a fork or a spatula. Scramble them to your liking. You can even add cheese, diced tomato or vegetables, spinach, or more. Here is a classy scrambled eggs recipe!

Omelets
Omelets are similar to scrambled eggs in that the yolks and the whites are beaten together, but there are a few key differences and a little more skill required. The pan should be heated at a higher temperature, then the temperature should be turned down before pouring the eggs in. Have your prepared fillings ready to add to one side of the omelet once the bottom of the eggs are firming and the top remains slightly runny. Flip the omelet so that the other side now cooks. Sprinkle on some cheese, fold in half, and slide onto your plate.

eggs

Photo by Amanda Shulman (Spoon University – University of Pennsylvania)

Poached
This recipe is one of the most difficult. Bring water to a simmer inside a shallow pan; make sure the pan is at least three inches deep, allowing the eggs to be fully submerged without touching the bottom of the pan. Break the egg into a small plate or ramekin. A good tip is to spin the water to cool it down before gently dropping the egg into the center of the water. Let it cook for three to five minutes until the white is set and the yolk starts to thicken. Lift the egg out of the water with a slotted spoon. This entire process can also be simplified with the use of an egg poacher.

eggs

Photo by Kendra Valkema (Spoon University)

Frittata
This delicious dish is a meal in itself and perfect for sharing with friends and family. The first step is sautéing any cooked meat and vegetables you want to add to your frittata. Great pairings include sausage, onions, green and red peppers, a mix of shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese, and spinach. Once you’ve sautéed and seasoned these fillings, spread them evenly inside your pan. Sprinkle the cheese on top and let it melt a little while you whisk the egg yolks and white together until they are uniform. Pour the egg liquid over the frittata fillings. Remember, about six to eight eggs can serve six people. Bake the frittata for a minute or two until the edges begin to set, then place the pan into the oven and cook it for eight to ten minutes, when the rest of the eggs have solidified and are no longer raw. Here is a recipe for breakfast muffin frittatas, yum!

Quiche
Quiches are almost identical to frittatas with the added tastiness of a crust. Simply follow the same instructions but pour and cook the eggs in a store-bought or homemade tart crust in an oven, preheated to 375°F. Bake until the eggs have set and the top is golden brown, which should take about forty to fifty minutes. Great combinations can include bacon and leeks, gruyere and caramelized onions, ham with peppers and tomatoes, and many more delicious options.

So, go! Run to Vittles, Safeway, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe’s and pick up some eggs to try these recipes out and become a better chef in your kitchen!