Eggnog is in heavy demand around the holidays. But do you know its limits? The creamy drink featuring notes of cinnamon and nutmeg is nothing short of controversial. However, if you prefer eggnog over most holiday treats, make sure you're not enjoying it outside of its expiration. Whether you prefer it as is, or love it all boozed up, there are signs to watch if that carton has been sitting in your fridge for a while. Here's what to know about how long you can keep your eggnog in the fridge. 

What is the big concern with eggnog? 

The biggest concern with eggnog is, of course, the egg ingredients, which if consumed past expiration dates can cause foodborne illness. One big issue with eggnog is that some homemade recipes use raw eggs, which can cause salmonella when prepared improperly. 

coffee, milk, cream, cappuccino, espresso, chocolate, sweet
Kristine Mahan

What are the different types of eggnog that can be purchased? 

Eggnog comes in a variety of forms including spiked, store-bought, canned, and homemade

milk, cocktail, cream, dairy product, sweet
Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

How long does each type of eggnog last? 

Homemade eggnog typically lasts 2-3 days if stored in 40º F or less under the proper conditions. Store-bought eggnog lasts 5-7 days after opening if it has been refrigerated. Canned eggnog lasts 4 to 5 months and around 5-7 days after opening.

cream, milk, dairy product, coffee, espresso, cappuccino, sweet, pudding
Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

How can you tell if eggnog has gone bad?

You can tell if eggnog has gone bad if it is lumpy, has a sour and unpleasant odor, and if it has lost its color from beige yellowish to another hue. At this point, it's best to make or buy a new batch or opt for some other holiday beverage such as a peppermint mocha.