We  spend money on food every single day, if we're lucky. But did you know that some food businesses also support fantastic social causes, from donating meals to the hungry to raising money for charities? A few months ago, my best friend's mother was diagnosed with cancer and I started an American Cancer Society fund raising site. Since then, I've paid close attention to food businesses that support social causes. Here is a round up some of these businesses and their incredible social work.

So, next time you're grocery shopping, make a conscious decision to support these food businesses that generously donate resources to making our world a better place.

Whole Foods NYC + Farm to Tray

Farm to Tray is a sustainable food and wine benefit for Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen, the largest emergency feeding program in New York, which serves over 1000 disadvantaged New Yorkers daily. Whole Foods Market NYC has been the sole ingredient sponsor every year since the first Farm to Tray fundraiser 5 years ago. The event challenges chefs and high-profile culinary names from across the city to produce a sustainable menu with local ingredients for each dish, generously provided by Whole Foods Market NYC. Farm to Tray, an annual celebration of food at the soup kitchen, raises awareness and much needed funds to help operations of Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. 

MySuperFoods

MySuperFoods is a women-owned company founded by two moms who believe that good-for-you food should taste good, too. With a focus on organic, gluten-free, allergy-friendly and high quality ingredients, every product is crafted with care. Think "super" cookies made with organic ingredients and whole grain, that are 100% nut free. They believe everyone deserves great food, even and especially those that are facing food insecurity.

Driving the company is a mission to help end child hunger in the USA. Partnering with food banks from New York City to Washington State, MySuperFoods is donating 100,000 meals to children in need. 

The Natural Citizen

The Natural Citizen makes organic, non-GMO, vegan, whole-food smoothie boosters. They have products that focus on protein, digestion, energy and greens supplements.

When Angela and Nadia, two health food industry veterans, founded The Natural Citizen, they also set out to improve the greatest number of lives possible - starting right here in the USA. Did you know that there are over 46 million Americans living in poverty, and nearly 15 percent of American households don’t know where its next meal will come from? With every product that you purchase from The Natural Citizen, they cover the cost of three meals through donations to reputable charities.

Michele's Granola

Michele’s Granola makes a variety of small-batch granolas from scratch, prepared fresh daily using premium natural, organic and GMO-free ingredients. The production facility is 100% wind-powered, certified by Green-e, and 80% of the company’s waste is either recycled or composted.

They've been actively involved in the Give One for Good Food program, donating 1% of their sales plus volunteer time to organizations leading the way towards a healthier and more equitable food system. As of January 2017, Michele's has donated more than $60,000 and approximately 200 volunteer hours to Baltimore-DC organizations through this program. 

Sweet Stuffed NYC

This NYC company, run by the talented Allison Kim, offers delicious stuffed donut cookies made-to-order. Shaped like a donut and made with vegan-friendly cookie batter, these treats are stuffed with a variety of fillings (like speculoos cookie butter) and topped with even more awesome add-ons like Oreo, matcha Kit Kat and more.  

I recently collaborated with Allison on a special edition donut cookie series where a portion of proceeds from the sales go to my American Cancer Society fundraising page

So, next time you are spending money on food, consider supporting businesses like these—that way, you get to enjoy delicious food but also support great causes!