The kiwi is a highly nutritious fruit that comes packed with Vitamin C and fiber. We’re instantly attracted to the gorgeous green fruit and its perfect combination of tart and sweet flavor. All of these traits make kiwi a must-have on our grocery lists. 

Traditionally, we cut open kiwifruit in order to scoop out the fruit and just leave the skin behind. While this helps get the meat of the fruit out much easier than using a knife, the technique has left many fruit lovers questioning: can you eat the skin of a kiwi?

Yes! You can 100% eat the brown and fuzzy skin of a kiwi! While the texture may intimidate you at first, in reality, it is similar to the skin of a peach or pear. So, scooping your kiwi with a spoon is a thing of the past, slicing is officially Spoon-approved! 

Prep

kiwi fruit, juice, sweet
Gabby Quintana

Before you slice your kiwifruit, be sure to clean off any dirt and bacteria that may be on the skin. To do this, you can use a slightly firm bristled produce brush or rough sponge to scrub the skin under cold, running water. This simple step will make sure the skin of your fruit is clean, and ready to eat.

Benefits

kiwi fruit, juice, sweet
Kenny Rapaport

Keeping the skin on the kiwi when eating it has numerous benefits. First, many people find that eating the kiwifruit with the skin on makes eating it much less messy. This is because the skin helps hold the meat of the fruit together after being sliced.

While making the fruit easier to eat is a helpful benefit, the skin of the kiwifruit ranks supreme in its nutritional benefits. The meat of the kiwifruit itself is loaded with Vitamin C and fiber, critical in preventing diseases and signs of aging. But it’s the skin that actually aids in preserving the nutrients and vitamins in the kiwi.

Studies have also shown that the skin of the kiwifruit has more Vitamin C and 3 times more fiber than the fruit inside, making it a major reason that eating kiwi is so beneficial to your health.

sweet, juice, vegetable, apple
Weichen Yan

But the benefits don’t stop at Vitamin C and fiber. Kiwifruit can also aid in digestion and respiratory health, thanks to its other vitamins and antioxidants. If you have trouble sleeping, kiwis also contain serotonin. Serotonin in kiwi has been proven to improve sleep time and sleep efficiency. Adding this fruit to your diet can help control blood sugars, lower cholesterol, and aid in weight loss.

Kiwi’s supply of Vitamin K improves artery health and aids in making calcium to strengthen bones. Kiwi is also proven to lower blood pressure in adults. In terms of potassium, kiwis surpass bananas in potassium content. So after your next workout, consider slicing up a fresh kiwi instead of peeling a banana!

kiwi fruit, sweet
Julianne Zech

Alas, the longstanding question of whether you can eat the skin of a kiwi or not, has finally been answered. The plain brown skin that we’ve been peeling away and throwing out for as long as we can remember, actually has the most nutritional benefits of the whole fruit. Kiwis are great for using in smoothies, salsas, or even as a topping on an acai bowl or oatmeal. Now, prepping your kiwifruit will be even easier, and more nutritious, by keeping the skin on.