Every spring my allergies return, and every spring I am blessed with the opportunity yet again to test out five or so different allergy medications and remedies, each year proving less successful than the last.

This spring, I resolve to improve my diet to help lessen my allergy symptoms and maybe, just maybe, cure my allergies for good. Ha, if only. But here are six ways to satisfy your stomach and alleviate your allergy symptoms this season.

Berries

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Berries and cherries

These fruits are known as anthocyanins and contain anti-inflammatory properties, which help relieve allergies. Anthocyanins give berries and cherries their reddish-purple color and are abundant in other foods such as red cabbage, beets, and eggplants.

Red Apples

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Apples

These babies are rich in quercetin, which contains anti-inflammatory properties. The peel of an apple is also packed with a certain antioxidant that prevents cellular damage.

Fish

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Fish

The healthy omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, such as salmon, tuna and anchovies, can help decrease sinus inflammation and boost the immune system, which fights off allergens. Fish can also relieve allergy-related skin irritations.

Yogurt

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Yogurt

This creamy probiotic goodness may bring your immune system to a healthy status. Probiotics facilitate bacteria balance in the digestive system and may ultimately prevent the immune system from reacting badly to allergens. Probiotics also contain “friendly” bacteria, which can reduce the extent of an allergic reaction.

Nuts

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Nuts

High in magnesium and vitamin E, these bad boys can prevent wheezing and boost immunity. Walnuts are a solid choice because they are high in antioxidants and omega-3s.

Tea

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Tea

Hot tea, and other warm liquids such as soup, can aid congestion break up in your nasal passages, making it easier to breathe. White, green and black teas are also a great source of quercetin.

Add these foods and drinks to your springtime diet to relieve the severity of your spring time allergic reactions.

More Good Stuff Here: