Everyone always talks about how college kids are broke. Dining plans aren't very flexible, and it seems like they never give you enough money. But here's the good news: Union offers many ways to eat for free, so you can save that precious declining balance. Plus, food is a great way to bring people together. Who doesn't love to eat? 

So many clubs offer food as an incentive to come to their events. You can find free grub most days of the week. Even on days where there aren't regularly scheduled events, there are often special events if you keep an eye out for emails (I know there are a lot) or flyers. Here's where to hit up to save those meal swipes.

Regularly Scheduled Events

Sunday 

Golub House Dinner

Golub House brings in food from different local restaurants every Sunday at 6pm. This week, for example, they had pizza. There had to be at least 10 boxes of pizza there (cheese, pepperoni, and vegetable, to name a few). They also bring in other restaurants, such as Tara Kitchen. This event isn't always super high-traffic, but that just means there's no shortage of food to chow down on, so it's another good way to save some cash.

Monday

Messa Mingle

Messa House council meets every week to plan events, and they always have free food. Whether it be pasta, burritos, pizza, or salad, people always show up with lots of ideas for events and more importantly, their appetites. The food helps start conversations, lets people make new friends, and makes for a lively atmosphere- who isn't happy once their stomach is full? Definitely not the worst way to spend a Common Lunch.

Milkshake Mondays in Golub
milk, cream, coffee, sweet, chocolate, cappuccino, pudding, espresso, yogurt
Christin Urso

Got a case of the Mondays? Or maybe you're craving a milkshake, but you're tired of the F'Real milkshakes from Dutch? Problem solved. Come to Golub House Mondays at 8pm for Milkshake Mondays. Start your week off right with a homemade milkshake - it could be just what you need to get you through the week.

Tuesday 

Waffle Tuesdays in Messa

Craving a late-night snack, but don't want to break the bank? Messa's got you covered. Waffle Night is every Tuesday at 10pm. With toppings like Nutella, peanut butter, and whipped cream, plus the classic maple syrup, there's bound to be something for everyone. Whether you've got some nighttime munchies or you're looking for a way to procrastinate, you should definitely swing by

Russian Table in Breazzano 

Ever been curious to learn more about the world's largest country? Come learn about Russian Culture at Russian table during Common Lunch in Breazzano. Russian food is provided, and good conversation is guaranteed. Stop by to broaden your cultural horizons, and try some new cuisine as well.

Wednesday 

Wold House Pizza Lunch
Just like Messa House, Wold House council meets every Wednesday to plan for the term. If you're looking for some inspiration to go, just check out their colorful banners in Reamer. They always have pizza at their meetings, so grab some friends and head over for free pizza.

Stammtisch in Messa

German Club has their weekly Stammtisch meetings during Common Lunch in Messa. This is an awesome way to score free food - and the good news is, you don't have to speak German to come. They offer authentic German cuisine at their weekly Stammtisch meetings. Well, as "authentic" as you can get anyway, without actually going to Germany. These include Schnitzel (breaded pork), Wurst (sausage), and German chocolate cookies. The multicultural food is always a focal point of Stammtisch, and it's a great way to learn about a new culture

Hungry Hump Day in Breazzano

Golub isn't the only Minerva with a variety of eats to suit your eclectic tastes. Breazzano also offers an array of food. Every other Wednesday at 6pm, they host dinner from a different local restaurant.  Stop by to grab some free food, and mingle with your friends

Chesspresso in Breazzano

Like Chess and Espresso? Maybe you're in the mood for something different. Come to Breazzano Wednesdays at 8 PM for chess and espresso. The espresso is sure to warm you up on those cold winter nights, and chess is a great way to have some fun and meet new people. 

Special Events 

Dinner and Discussion with Professors

From time to time, the Minervas will invite professors to a "Dinner and Discussion". These cover a wide variety of topics, ranging from current events, issues, different ways of thinking, and terms abroad. Just a few weeks ago, Messa House hosted a discussion with a history professor, who talked about his Holocaust mini-term. Who doesn't want to use free food as an excuse to learn? This is a great way to connect with professors and like-minded students, hear some diverse views, and learn about the great experiences Union has to offer. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for these events in your email, and flyers on campus as well.

It definitely takes a little bit of effort to get the lowdown on how to eat for free, but it's totally worth it. Who doesn't want to save on meal swipes or declining balance? If nothing else, you'll at least learn the kinds of food you don't like. But hey, you may end up loving the food you try, and even meet some new people. So step outside your comfort zone and give it a shot. You'll be glad you did.