Summer may be over, but most of the country is still far from that cool, crisp fall weather. You're in a puddle of your own sweat by the time they reach the next classes, and once they get home all they want to do is relax and snack. Rather than raiding the kitchen every afternoon to find something to munch on, why not plan ahead so those vegan after-school treats will be waiting for you?

Chia Popsicles

cream, popsicle, ice cream, ice
Jen Baron

Sure, you could reach for the same store-bought fruit bar you had in your elementary school cafeteria, but you could also make a DIY superfood pop with chia seeds.

These little seeds pack a punch, as a good source of essential fatty acids as well as minerals like manganese, calcium, and phosphorus. 

Chia Seeds gel up when combined with liquid, and when added to coconut water or your favorite plant milk, they form the base for a unique, slightly crunchy popsicle. 

Try experimenting with coconut, chocolate, and fruit.

Banana "Nice Cream"

coffee, sweet, ice cream, chocolate, dairy product, milk, ice, cream
Torey Walsh

With this vegan after-school treat, you get all the sweetness of ice cream without the need for cow's milk (or any milk for that matter). 

All you need for this dessert are frozen bananas. Depending on the power of your blender or food processor, you might be able to blend them straight from the freezer or you may need to include a little plant-based milk to help it blend. 

Play around with different flavors to make some delicious soft serve combinations like peanut butter, carrot cake, or berry

Avocado Pudding

milk chocolate, pudding, goody, candy, mousse, coffee, chocolate mousse, sweet, cream, milk, chocolate
Katherine Baker

Would this really be a vegan article if I didn't mention avocados at least once? 

Famous for their debut on toast, avocados also make the base for creamy vegan pudding.

You would think that buttery avocados wouldn't fit in with chocolate pudding, but it turns out to be a pretty neutral base for sweet treats like this.

The recipe is pretty simple. You'll need avocados, cocoa powder, and a sweetener of choice.

Frozen Fruit

sweet, berry, blueberry

Chuck some cut-up fruit in the freezer and let them sit overnight. Some fruits freeze better than others in terms of making an afternoon snack, but you can learn how to freeze practically any fruit you want

As far as snacks go, some of the best to freeze would be grapes, banana slices, blueberries, pineapple, and orange slices. Don't just take my word for it, though. Get a little adventurous and try new fruits to figure out which you like best.